Macbook pro....making noise (anyone with a 15" i7 please step in )

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjm300, Jun 9, 2010.

1. sjm300 macrumors member

well, I just noticed this the other day and its starting to drive nuts

anyone with a 15" i7, running on Intel power...is your computer SILENT? Im looking at istat pro and I'm at 50 degrees Celsius, running on intel power and fans are at default of 2k rpms on both.

When I first got this one, I recall it being silent sitting on my lap. Now I keep getting noise from the Right hand side ( by the optical drive )

its either fans running higher ( but I thought they were on the left? ) or the optical drive is running for no reason. or the HDD is just spinning away.

can any else chime in please?

2. sjm300 thread starter macrumors member

well after putting my ears closer. I put my ear at each corner on the right and side

right corner near the screen hinge, not that loud
    right corner near the front...loud.

so its confirmed, its the hard drive...already :(

my 13" is dead silent, as should my 15"....does everyone agree?

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

My 15" i7 is dead silent too when the fans are running at 2000 RPM. What model hard drive does your MBP have? Mine has a 500GB Toshiba 5400 RPM.

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

how loud is loud? are you in a totally silent room? cause i have the same exact mbp as u (guessing you have the 7200rpm hdd as well). but anyways, when im watching tv or something playing in the background, i can't hear it. but when im in a silent room, i can hear the fans faintly going. i used to think i had a problem with my mbp also, but in the end i believe its just because its a beastly machine, and its gotta make some noise ;)

5. sjm300 thread starter macrumors member

well I forgot I replaced my stock HDD to the WD scorpio blue 640gb. ( 5400 rpm )

I can hear it even watching TV.

Are their any resets for the HDD? Cause it seems like it running at full bore all the time.

6. MStoMac macrumors newbie

Silent

not a squeak out of mine. must be the 512Gb SSD :)

7. toffa813 macrumors regular

I have the 7200rpm drive as well, and I don't notice anything

8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

could just be the scorpio hdd u have, you might wanna wait and see if anyone on this forum has the same hdd as u before bringing it into apple.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

mine is dead silent. only when all 4 cores start working for a while (5-10min) i start hearing the fans. My 500 MB 5400 HD only makes a clicking noise when i lift the MBP up. That's when the sudden motion sensor registers the movement and parks the HD.

For a 1500 dollar SSD I would expect it to have an artificial HD sound generator like the artificial fireplaces that have this speaker making crackling sounds.......

10. Hexero macrumors regular

(MBP in sig) If I put my ears close enough, I can hear it. It's normal, so I don't care. IMO you can't expect 7200rpm HDD's do be dead silent. Buy a SSD later this year and you will hear no noise, that's my plan. ;)

11. macleopard macrumors newbie

It does seem loud

I too have a 15" i7 MBP with a 7200rpm drive. All of a sudden the computer seemed as loud as it does when the fans are on full blast. I checked iStat nano, the fans were at 2K and all my temps were under 45. I tried reseting the PRAM, nothing happened. Eventually, it got quieter on its own, but not as quiet as it used to be. I would conclude that the noise is the Hard Drive though

12. MindlessJD macrumors member

MindlessJD

My 15" MBP is pretty much silent at 2000 RPM as well. I'm reckoning it could be the hard drive too...

13. dinosound macrumors newbie

Yes, my MBP 15" is noisy as well and it is bothersome. We just bought a 13" and my 15". The 13" is completely silent. The 15" has the constant noise.
    I thought it was the 7200 rpm or the internal fans that would need to keep it cool. But even after replacing the Seagate Momentus 7200rpm with a quieter drive (Hitachi Deskstar 5400rpm) the exact same noise is still there. So it is NOT the drive.
    :-(

14. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Got the stock 5400RPM drive in mine and it's completely silent when the fans are @ 2000RPM

15. mrobison macrumors member

Hmm...

We have exact same computers spec-wise; I even have the 640 gB scorpio blue (5400 rpm) installed in mine; honestly the only noise I ever hear is when I'm gaming (fans blowing) or importing something from handbrake (optical disk/fan spinning). However, I'm usually in a room with the ceiling fan going and my 24" iMac on. Also, iStat is reading my hard drive temp at the moment at 37 degrees celsius (idle). I don't know, it might be fine; but if it's concerning you I'd definitely get it checked out.

Also, out of curiosity, what is your boot up time?

16. fierarul macrumors member

It's the hard drive

The fans are negligible at 2000 rpm. The hard drive is the most noisy part of your system. Might wanna try an SSD if you can go by with less space.

17. shadygrove macrumors regular

The only time my computer makes noise is when I have a cd/dvd in the optical drive, then it's rattles and makes all sorts of noises. Other than that I can never hear it (or feel it vibrate), especially with the SSD.

18. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

My MBP was silent for around 1st week but it's getting noise and the noise only come from the hard drive! I got 500gb 7200rpm

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Unless you have a SSD, your hard drive will make noise of some kind.

20. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

My 13 inch makes quite a bit of noise, but I am also very paranoid about perfection

Can't wait till I can afford an ssd