MacBook Pro making scratching sounds (video)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MeTHoD-X, Aug 9, 2010.

1. MeTHoD-X macrumors newbie

There is a scratching sound coming from the centre of my MBP. It is not coming from the speakers. I have a hunch it is coming from the hard drive.

Here is a video I just made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPSWcXlLO98

Matt

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, it sounds like your hard drive - maybe something loose. Back your data up, if you haven't done already, just in case.

3. MeTHoD-X thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply mate.

The MacBook is still under the 1 year Apple warranty. So I'm guessing this is an issue Apple will fix? I bought it from Futureshop so do I take it in to the retailer I bought it from or travel an hour and a half to the nearest Apple store?

I should give them a call tomorrow and talk to them on the phone personally but I figure I may as well ask now.

Thanks again,
    Matt

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, I think they should repair it, providing you haven't been deliberately damaging it ;) Hard drives can break and fail - they're mechanical so there's certainly a chance.

I would say take it to the retailer you bought it from (if they're an authorised reseller, then they can probably do repairs) first, but if they can't do anything you might have to take it to your nearest Apple store. Hope it gets resolved for you.

5. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

I'm pretty sure futureshop can handle a hard drive replacement. I know they say they do for PC Towers. If they do the macbook, then they'll either get the HDD, replace it, and bill apple, or have you call apple, get a new HDD delivered, and bring them in so they can swap it out and bill apple the repair cost.

depends though, I'm not sure how hard it is to open a macbook pro. I know an iMac can be tricky, I never got mine back 100% the way it was, but it works.