MacBook Pro making scratching sounds (video)

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Yeah, it sounds like your hard drive - maybe something loose. Back your data up, if you haven't done already, just in case.

MeTHoD-X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
Thanks for the reply mate.

The MacBook is still under the 1 year Apple warranty. So I'm guessing this is an issue Apple will fix? I bought it from Futureshop so do I take it in to the retailer I bought it from or travel an hour and a half to the nearest Apple store?

I should give them a call tomorrow and talk to them on the phone personally but I figure I may as well ask now.

Thanks again,
Matt

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
The MacBook is still under the 1 year Apple warranty. So I'm guessing this is an issue Apple will fix? I bought it from Futureshop so do I take it in to the retailer I bought it from or travel an hour and a half to the nearest Apple store?

Yeah, I think they should repair it, providing you haven't been deliberately damaging it ;) Hard drives can break and fail - they're mechanical so there's certainly a chance.

I would say take it to the retailer you bought it from (if they're an authorised reseller, then they can probably do repairs) first, but if they can't do anything you might have to take it to your nearest Apple store. Hope it gets resolved for you.

Relentlos

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure futureshop can handle a hard drive replacement. I know they say they do for PC Towers. If they do the macbook, then they'll either get the HDD, replace it, and bill apple, or have you call apple, get a new HDD delivered, and bring them in so they can swap it out and bill apple the repair cost.

depends though, I'm not sure how hard it is to open a macbook pro. I know an iMac can be tricky, I never got mine back 100% the way it was, but it works.