Macbook Pro making strange sound PLZ HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thriii, Mar 20, 2009.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

My Macbook Pro just started making a strange sound today.. heres a vid I recorded with cycorder.. does anyone have any idea what it could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jum95rBvPfM

Does anyone know what this is? It sounds like its on the right side.. could it be the fan? and if it is.. is it possible for me to fix myself? I work from my computer :( and I really need this fixed as soon as possible..

2. JNRidgway15 macrumors member

Im pretty sure thats the GPU fan making that noise its a known problem with certain generations of the MBP :(

3. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

is it anythin to worry about? cuz im freakin out :( It gets louder.. slows down and then gets louder.. I never had this problem before until today and I've had this since 2007.. when i start up my comp its like it goes slow slow fast slow.. like a starting up lawn mower.. hopefully thats all it is.. do I have any chance to lose anythin or is there a way I can be sure of what it is?

4. JNRidgway15 macrumors member

If you have Apple Care you should be able to get it fixed in 24 hours but if it is the fan and it stops all together you get rid of the annoying noise but it could overheat the GPU and could kill the GPU or other components inside due to overheating

5. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not too sure if I have apple care but would I have to send it in or can I go into the apple store? I really can't be without my laptop right now :(..the sound is def coming from the right speaker side and the youtube vids ive seen on gpus that did this sound exactly the same.. but i just dont know what that means.. so still worried

6. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

Agree. Happened to me in Jan. If not under applecare, replacing the fan is a pretty straight forward task. Fans are available from e.g http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/ (I got my replacement fan from here).

7. Ploki macrumors 68020

there were macbookpros with 3 fans?! :eek:

8. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

how do I know if my fan is overheating? what temperatures would be too hot? How do I know it IS the gpu??

9. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

Download/install istat http://islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/, It will provide fan rpm and temp info

10. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

11. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

12. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

Heres a screenshot from a fan control program

[​IMG]

13. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

So both fans run ... and the noise is till there. Could be the bearings on one of the fans is kaput. Only way to tell (if you don't have access to an Apple Service Disk) is to open the case, disconnect one fan at a time and turn the computer on and run it for half a minute or so. If no noise, the disconnected fan is bad

btw, the "bad" fan on my macbook pro was on the right too

14. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

luckily I'm still under the apple warranty and I was told I can get this fixed at the mac store I just have to make an appointment.. I read on a couple sites 100C is overheating but can't be sure.. right now I'm running time machine just to make sure I dont lose anythin and its been at about 60-70c so I think I'm ok there

Is there anything I can run/test? Just a little shaken up.. anythin I should be doing or can do right now?

How bad is this problem? If it's the bearings/gpu or whatever it is does it seem bad enough to where I should stay off my computer?

:confused::(:confused::(

15. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

If under warranty, you are lucky! In my case I ran the "noisy" fan for a week (waiting for the replacement to arrive). The noise was a nuisance but I was able to run my normal tasks on the computer for the 6 or 7 days ....

16. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply! makes me feel a little better.. also in one of your replies you said something about the bearings on the fan.. what is that?

17. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

The blades of a fan rotate on bearings. This allows for a smooth/stable rotation of the fan blades. The spindle and bearings are sealed (as far as I know) and thus you cannot just replace the bearing. You must replace the complete fan unit.

btw, it is amazing but you do get used to the "lawn mower" sound after 2/3 days. And then, when the problem is fixed, the silence of the computer is "deafening"

18. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

If both my fans are pretty much the same speed it shouldn't be failing right? my right is no different from my left.. but it is much louder on my right speaker so I'm thinkin its my fan unless it could be somethin else over there.. I did come across this

http://nofilmschool.com/2009/02/how-to-fix-a-noisy-macbook-pro-fan/

so I'll try and see what I can do.. I really hate leaving my computer with people so I'll try what I can.. after seeing this picture
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure it's the right fan.. which isnt as bad as something like a HD failure so I'm a little relieved.. where is the gpu tho? and does it have a fan?

19. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

My comp is at about 58C-65C idle.. is this good or bad?

Also I know there are programs to change the fan speed.. but is there a program where I can completely turn 1 of the fans off so I can make sure it is the fan?