macbook pro matte or glossy for college

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ipaqman, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey all,

so i am for sure getting a 2.4 macbook pro for college in september but wanted to know which screen to get. that being said i will be using this computer everyday for classes and homework.

for everyone in college that has one or just in general which one do you prefer and why?

thanks so much,
    ipaqman

2. Streitzguy macrumors member

Matte, definitely. IMO it's easier on the eyes. As a college student you'll be on your computer A LOT working, so why make your eyes more prone to strain and/or distraction?

3. amoda macrumors 6502a

You're going to start the typical Matte Vs. Glossy arguments. Just go to the nearest Apple store/Reseller or anywhere you can actually see the two side by side. It's really a matter of opinion. For example Streitzguy dislikes glossy, I however adore 'em. I'm a univ. student and have a glossy mbp and don't regret it one bit. I used to have the 1.83 Matte and now have the 2.2 Glossy and I wouldn't go back to Matte after experiencing glossy.

4. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Matte. I'm also a college student, and trust me, you'll be extremely unhappy with a glossy screen if you're taking your notebook to school. The glare can get really bad depending on where you are. For me personally, some classes just have terribly bright lights and I don't know about you but when I look at my computer screen, I don't want to see a reflection of myself while I'm trying to do something.

5. e.magnusson macrumors member

Definitely matte,I'm using one right now. I thought that the matte screen would make it look ugly, or darken the colors, but it truly is great. No problems, if you're in college then go for matte because of the bright (likely fluorescent) lighs hanging above you.

6. thuff13 macrumors member

I have a glossy screen and I like it. I use it mostly indoors and don't have glare problems. If you are going to use it outdoors a lot then you might want to consider a matte screen, otherwise go glossy.

7. Darkenvamp macrumors member

well im actually going to start my first year college in couple months aswell..and wonder the same thing as you >_>

8. TheStranger55 macrumors member

Getting a new mbp in september? Can't you just wait another month and get leopard for free?

9. thuff13 macrumors member

Probably not if he's going to college. He'll need it before October.

10. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Totally personal choice.

There's no right answer, no wrong answer. :)

11. BlueArctos macrumors member

This is subjective. There are a TON of college students who can vouch for the performance of the Glossy-type screens in both harsh indoor and outdoor environments.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE both screen types (the MBP matte is surprisingly brilliant and satisfying), but throwing "trust me" statements and recommendations into this timeless argument isn't fair because of the subjective nature of this choice.

Some people don't mind the reflections. Some people can use glossy laptop screens with over-powered industrial fluorescent lamps right next to them and not even notice the glare (myself included). Some people prefer the diffusion of the matte.

In this situation, amoda and Sounds Good are absolutely right. You might as well go see the screens for yourself, because you'll never be able to receive an entirely unbiased opinion (not even from me).

12. Jambo macrumors newbie

The glare is real

It is simply a matter of optics that the glossy screen induces more background glare in a brightly lit environment.

However, whether this is a problem will depend, not just on the brightness of the lights but also there placement and the screen angle. The user can usually tilt or angle the display to avoid the glare of a single light. However, this sometimes isn't practical if there is are multiple lights positioned above and behind the user.

The advantage of the glossy screens is that, in a suitable environment, the screens appear brighter, crisper and a have a broader apparent color range.