Macbook Pro-matte or glossy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jneckert, Nov 26, 2007.

1. jneckert macrumors member

Any opinions on which screen is preferred as I am looking to get the Macbook Pro soon? I'll mainly use it for work productivity, writing, some movies, gaming and photo editing. Thanks in advance.

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I personally like the bright feel of the glossy, but you will find yourself dusting off the screen rather frequently. There's also a matter of the occasional glare on the screen from light behind you. Really, I see no advantage of one over the other, they have (in my opinion) very subtle difference.

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

mattttteee all the way.
    glossy is nice but matte is just good all around.
    there are downsides to the glossy...but none for the matte.

play with them and choose what you liked best.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There have been many threads on this; do a search before creating a thread in the future please;):)

You'll find that the matte screen doesn't produce a direct glare like glossy screens. You will also find that the matte screen attracts less dust and fewer finger prints (for whatever reason).

All in all, I'd go with matte again if I was presented with the choice. I went through this when I was ready to buy my mbp, and the only thing that really helped was seeing it in the store. Knowing that the Apple Store makes an effort to reduce the glare on glossy screens, I realized that in actual use (at home and school) the glossy would only be worse. Hence, I went with matte and haven't regretted it.

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Matte.

I didnt like the glare on my glossy MB. Looking forward to my new matte MBP...

C'mon apple, ship that bad boy

6. jneckert thread starter macrumors member

I know there's many threads. Just looking for any new opinions that might be out there. Hard to decide...I like the glossy for the sharpness. Photos and home movies look great. But sometimes the glare is annoying when there is light behind me. I guess there are worse choices to make.

7. MBM355 macrumors newbie

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The "sharpness" you see with the glossy is really a distraction. Ultimately the glare will drive you crazy. I used to have a notebook with a glossy screen, and I knew it was there all the time. I can't remember the last time I thought this while using my mbp.

And yes, there are worse choices out there.;):p:D

9. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

And here we are back with our biweekly thread about Matte vs Glossy screens!:D

There are tons of threads out here debating this... a search would give with loads of info that you cannot finish reading.

That being out of the way, I prefer Matte screens. :)

10. ivan1234 macrumors regular

my last two laptops were glossy, I don't think I could go back to matte. ;)

11. beerelf macrumors newbie

the downside to matte is that it doesn't look as good as the glossy ;), but seriously, it's a personal preference. I went with glossy as in my opinion the colors are much more vibrant and I've not had any issues with glare, even sitting by the window in my front office.

12. bov macrumors 6502

13. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

matte if you don't plan on using if at full brightness all of the time.

14. jneckert thread starter macrumors member

Then the mods should sticky it. Maybe newcomers to Apple like myself have searched threads but still like to get the most up to date info. There are many helpful members who willingly share their knowledge of Macs that have helped convince me to make the switch. But there are those who forget that they were once newcomers too. Please just go easy on newcomers as we try to learn about all that Macs have to offer. Thank you to everyone who keeps the info flowing.

It's been a long time since I enjoyed a computer as much as my Macbook for more than just getting papers/work done. I haven't enjoyed computers as much since I was a kid which included the Apple 2e and even the IBM pc, jr.
    Thank you to Apple for making computers fun again as well as efficient!

15. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I bought the glossy and love it! No problems at all with mine.

I use mine to watch movies, podcasts, family photo editing, iWork, email, etc.

16. isleofjib macrumors regular

the only thing to keep in mind is the matte produces more realistic colors which is important if you're trying to set color balances, etc, in photos. other than that, it is personal preference. Personally, i prefer the matte, but i certainly don't dislike the glossy on my MB and the glare has never been a problem for me in my very well lit living room.

17. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

18. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I MUCH prefer matte over glossy. Its easier on the eyes.

19. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I always loved glossy then had matte for awhile was not happy, now have glossy again :)

20. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

they dont make glossy cinema displays so matte must be far superior ;)

kiddding :D i prefer matte and wouldn't buy glossy. i think glossy looks cheap and plasticy. the matte screen looks amazing with my sleek macbook pro. my cousin, however, has the same laptop except glossy and there is hardly a difference. i was surprised that there wasnt much glare at all.

the choice is purely preference... i didn't notice THAT much better color in his glossy, but there was a slightly crisper image. neither of our machines are professionally calibrated, though... and without that the 'superior color' is pretty much a non-issue.

matte is much easier to clean :D iklear works absolute wonders!

21. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

22. Jim82 macrumors member

Buy which ever you want, and if you don't like it go to PowerSupport and buy the opposite screen protector. I bought a matte MBP as that was the only thing available, but PowerSupport offers the CrystalFlim that provides a glossy finish. It also has the AntiGlare that provides matte finish.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/pb/

23. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Actually prefer the glossy. Didn't think I would but when I bought my last MBP it was all the local Applestore had in-stock. Glare isn't as bad as people make it out to be and does seem more vibrant.

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Also makes you not care about 6bit dithered colors so if you're doing photo work all you do is guessing. The matte finish at least reveals that you're not seeing 8 bits per subpixel...