Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Should I get the new MacBook Pro retina ($2500). Or a MacBook Pro with maxed out ram and 512 ssd?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Should I get the new MacBook Pro retina ($2500). Or a MacBook Pro with maxed out ram and 512 ssd?
Get whatever you prefer and what meets your needs. That's very much a subjective decision. No one else can decide that for you, and you're the one who will have to live with your choice.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Get the one that best suits your needs, i.e., large hard drive and optical drive for the non-retina MBP if you need storage or the optical drive.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
how are we going to tell you which is best, if you don't tell us what your need is? if your main goal with the mac is to train lamas then i think you should go with the cheapest option.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
if your main goal with the mac is to train lamas then i think you should go with the cheapest option.
That depends on how computer literate the llamas are, but the good news is that both models come with a built-in spell checker, so the OP will know it's "llamas" instead of "lamas"! :D

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
That depends on how computer literate the llamas are, but the good news is that both models come with a built-in spell checker, so the OP will know it's "llamas" instead of "lamas"! :D

i had no idea! thank you my good man :D.. yeah, no spell check for my gaming rig :(

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012

If you're getting a regular Macbook Pro then get the RAM and SSD aftermarket and install it yourself. You'll save a few hundred this way.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
If built-in storage is a requirement, then get the MBP classic. My current 2011 machine has 16gb of ram and a 256gb Samsung SSD + 1TB Samsung HDD. The MBP-R doesn't even come close to that storage capacity yet.

I REALLY wish Apple offered the Retina display on a 'classic' chassis as an option!

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
A maxed out retina MBP is the biggest waste of money.

You might as well give me the difference in money between the base model and one that is fully decked out and I'll be your slave for the whole year and do all your chores and stuff.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
After 4 days of waiting. I located one in Nashville Tn. Luckily I was heading to Cincinnati from Memphis. Just got it. They held it for me since 10 this morning. They priced match the student discount but I didn't receive ghe gift card. No worries. I'm going to go to another best buy that Durant have it and get it.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Go to the store and have a look at the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, then have a look at the non-Retina.

You will know the answer :D

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Go to the store and have a look at the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, then have a look at the non-Retina.

You will know the answer :D

Can't agree more.. Looking at the retina then the other macs.. It looks horrible. And outdated.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007

You might as well give me the difference in money between the base model and one that is fully decked out and I'll be your slave for the whole year and do all your chores and stuff.

A whole year of slavery for a 1.5K

Good thinking

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008

that sounds like a great deal - when do you want to start?

12345aa

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012

Awesome. PM me for address.
You can start by picking up all the dog crap in the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.