Macbook pro MC700 model motherboard short circuted on connecting data cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anuj11, Jan 11, 2012.

1. anuj11 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have macbook pro early 2011 MC700 model. Few days back I was using it on battery and connected my samsung phone data cable to USB port and when I was about to connect other end of cable to my phone, macbook crashed. I took it to service centre and after few days technician told me macbook motherboard has short circuted and it need to be replaced. My macbook is just 3 month old and warranty has saved me from the cost of repair.

I want to know what exactly is reason of short circuit. Is it fault in that model or this kind of short circuit of motherboard on connecting data cable is a common phenomenon. Now in future I will think twice before connecting my USB cable or pendrive to USB port of macbook. Is static charge in winter season can be a cause. As I have used that data cable before with my macbook and other laptops I dont think there is a fault in data cable, but I am not sure. Also I got this message few days before crash 'One of your USB port is drawing much power and has been disabled'. What can be exact reason of shortcircuit of motherboard.
    Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Anuj

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Searching here and google really didn't produce any trend, so I'd say its not a common phenomenon AFAIK. If it was, then we'd see a lot more posts about the problem here.

As for the cause, who knows, maybe a manufacturing defect.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This could also be caused by a faulty cable, I don't think it's a common issue....Maybe it's Samsungs revenge? :D Anyway, that's an expensive repair, so good that you had it covered.

I would replace that cable too.

4. anuj11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying guys. As I have used that cable a few times before with my macbook and other laptops without any trouble I am not sure if it is all cable fault. Even if cable was faulty I think macbook should be robust enough to handle that. It was cold that day and is it possible that static charge in winter has any part to play. Now in future I will think twice before using USB port of my macbook.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Mac's are VERY well grounded (Earthed)...Static? Slim chance. The cable having loose wires inside that only rub against each other in certain positions? VERY likely.

I'd replace it before it kills another device.