MacBook Pro MD101LL/A or MF839LL/A?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kcrossley, Jun 25, 2016.

1. kcrossley macrumors member

I need a low end MBP for my wife. I'm trying to decide between a MBP MD101LL/A or a refurbished MF839LL/A. The MD101LL/A comes with 4GBs of RAM and a 500GB traditional hard drive, BUT it's easily upgraded to 16GB and a super fast SSD.

The MF839LL/A features a Retina display and is about 25% faster out of the box than the MD101LL/A, but I'm stuck with 8GBs of RAM and a 128GB hard drive, which means I'll also need an external drive.

What would you do?

2. squarebreathing macrumors member

squarebreathing

Do not buy the Macbook pro with the traditional HD and CD burner. This computer is over 4 years old technology wise and it is a terrible choice in 2016. Yes you could update it yourself with more ram and a SSD hard drive, but it still remains that the graphics card on it is ancient and the processor is slow as well. Another reason is that there is a possible chance that future operating systems (from 2017 on) will drop this computer due to the ancient hardware.

The best way to buy a Retina Macbook Pro is to buy a closeout model that is new, but a generation behind the current generation. The macbook pro refresh is likely coming in the next few months, so if you can wait I would recommend doing so. If you have to have one now, go to B&H Photo and check out their closeout specials.

If you need more space, I would recommend getting a Jet Drive. They are very cheap and are used in the Macbook pro's SD Card drive:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/flash-expansion-storage/ci/25504/N/3673094702

Pickup a system with at least 8GB of RAM.

3. tubeexperience, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

You can get a used MD101LL/A for $500.

It's a 4 years old tech, so I won't buy a new one.

You can upgrade the sh*t out of that thing.

16GB DDR3L 1600 for $50

480GB SSD for $110

4. Appleaker macrumors 68000

If you need to, you can easily upgrade the ssd on the retina to a larger one, from companies such as OWC however these are quite expensive as they are much faster thank traditional ssd that you would put in the non-retina model.

As for RAM, 8gb is enough I think unless you are dong extensive tasks (or have a lot of chrome tabs).

Would you consider waiting for the new ones in a few months? What is your budget?

5. squarebreathing macrumors member

squarebreathing

The problem with used cMacbook Pros is that the screen has a defect after multiple years of use. There are burn in issues where the apple logo is due to some heat problem. I've seen many 3+ year cMacbook Pros with these burn in marks.

6. kcrossley thread starter macrumors member

Waiting is not a problem, so I'm fine with that idea. Thanks guys.