Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AshtonBrn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
I've got a Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-core Intel i7 ordered an on the way (Originally released February 2011). I want to upgrade the memory to max it out. I seem to be a little confused on how much it will actually take. Apple seems to say it take a maximum of 8 gigs but other sources seem to say it will take a max if 16 gigs.

Any advice would help on what ram I should buy to max out my notebook.

I plan to run lots of memory intensive Adobe applications and Parallels with Windows 7 as well. I was hoping to buy the memory from Newegg.com.

Thanks.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I've got a Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-core Intel i7 ordered an on the way (Originally released February 2011). I want to upgrade the memory to max it out. I seem to be a little confused on how much it will actually take. Apple seems to say it take a maximum of 8 gigs but other sources seem to say it will take a max if 16 gigs.

I plan to run lots of memory intensive Adobe applications and Parallels with Windows 7 as well. I was hoping to buy the memory from Newegg.com.

Thanks.

You can install 16GB total on yours, enjoy.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Your MacBook Pro (same as mine aside from CPU clock) will take up to 16 GB RAM. Mine has 10 GB installed right now. Apple's claim of 8 GB maximum is absolute nonsense...

proximo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
On paper, your processor supports 32GB of memory:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52227/Intel-Core-i7-2820QM-Processor-(8M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz)

but 16GB is the max that's available today and works fine. This is what I'm using in my 2011 MBP:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231531

Thanks.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can install up to 32GB, but since there are no 16GB DIMMs available, you're best bet is 16GB. You can also use 1600MHz chips if you wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.