MacBook Pro Memory Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kfuty, Oct 28, 2007.

1. kfuty macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm planning on get my first Mac, and am stuck in regards to VRAM. When all VRAM resources are used, how much system RAM can be used as shared resources? Is there a limit as in some PCs? For example, some allow 64MB dedicated and 64MB shared.

I ask this because I am deciding between the 2.2 and 2.4 MacBook Pro. I would by the 2.2 with the 160GB 7200rpm drive and upgrade myself to 4gb RAM. If I decide for the 2.4, it will be the baseline system for some time until I upgrade the RAM. The extra VRAM would be great, but I'm unsure if the 2.2 system with 4GB RAM would be a better choice.

Plan to use: Photoshop, GarageBand, iMovie, iDVD (if this helps)
    Oh, and I will be hooked up to a 24" monitor when not portable.

Please help me clear up some confusion.
    Thanks.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

As usual when a choice like this comes up, the typical recommendation would be to forget about the memory for now. You can always upgrade the memory later, but you can't upgrade the CPU or GPU.

Besides, memory is really cheap nowadays. There's deals out there for 2GB sticks that are less than $90, in one case $65. So if I were you I'd get the higher-end system, and then upgrade the RAM when you can. The standard 2GB it comes with will be more than enough to get you by for a short time.