Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdimerc

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
I have a Macbook Pro 13-inch (Early 2011) 2.7 GHz

So I have done something pretty stupid. Using this code:

cd /S*/L*/Ext*/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext/C*/M*

sudo cp AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.backup

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\xC7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x18|\xc7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x40|g' AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB

sudo touch /S*/L*/Extensions

That I found on this forum post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1766384/

I have accidentally reallocated my mac's memory in an attempt to get more VRAM (I know, I know, it was dumb. I just wanted to play Transistor, okay?). But that seems to have backfired and now when I check my stats instead of having Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB, I now have Display 3MB. So my computer is pretty handicapped. The screen shudders and it's barely running. Is there a way to reverse this and get me back to my original 384MB of VRAM? I promise never to do it again.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States

I have accidentally reallocated my mac's memory in an attempt to get more VRAM (I know, I know, it was dumb. I just wanted to play Transistor, okay?). But that seems to have backfired and now when I check my stats instead of having Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB, I now have Display 3MB. So my computer is pretty handicapped. The screen shudders and it's barely running. Is there a way to reverse this and get me back to my original 384MB of VRAM? I promise never to do it again.

If you followed the code precisely, you've already made a backup of the kext you changed. You just need to restore the backup.

You can manually navigate to the file using Finder - just follow the path you used in the first command. "cd" stands for "change directory". /S* = root System folder; /L* = "Library", and so on until your reach the kext... which is just a package (essentially a folder). Show contents of kext package and you'll see Contents folder and then MacOS folder. The backup file will be in there. Rename the current AppleIntel... with a "prettystupid" extension. Then rename the "backup" file as "AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB" (i.e. delete the .backup extension).

You might have some permission issues doing that, you'll have to figure that out on your own.

Or you could*:
Code:
cd /S*/L*/Ext*/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext/C*/M*

sudo mv AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.prettystupid

sudo mv AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.backup AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB

sudo touch /S*/L*/Extensions

*if that code blows up your mac, sorry, but i'm not responsible. All it's doing is changing back to the kext folder, renaming the new file as "prettystupid" (mv = move/rename), renaming the backup as the original, and then updating the extension folder (touch).

Last edited:

kdimerc

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
I tried your solution, but unfortunately it didn't work. I think the problem is that I entered this code multiple times to achieve a higher VRAM and therefore made backups of the altered AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB file. Do you know if there is a way that I can re-download the original, unaltered drivers altogether? I'm also wondering if I should replace the AppleIntelHD3000Graphics files too...

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I tried your solution, but unfortunately it didn't work. I think the problem is that I entered this code multiple times to achieve a higher VRAM and therefore made backups of the altered AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB file. Do you know if there is a way that I can re-download the original, unaltered drivers altogether? I'm also wondering if I should replace the AppleIntelHD3000Graphics files too...

Oh, that sucks. Do you backup your computer, e.g. time machine?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

For future reference: With an integrated card, having more VRAM would do absolutely nothing for performance. There's no use to the card getting more info that it can actually process at once, which is exactly what you were doing. You're being limited by the card's ability to process things, not by how much info can be stored on it.

DarkSt0rm009

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
Tennessee
I tried, its s OK.
So, out of curiosity, to what extent would the combo update possibly work?
I'm asking this because I'm in a similar boat with my late 2011 13" (granted it had 512 MB of ram as opposed to the OP's 384MB and I'm more than willing to give this idea a shot if it will help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.