Macbook Pro Memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Dec 7, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

If I buy a new macbook pro 15" what memory combination will it have in it?

I.e. if I bought the basic model would I be able to max out the ram to 4gb myself through a retailer like Mac Upgrades?

Or would I have to buy a 3gb model and exchange the 1gb for a newly purchased 2GB?

Thanks

2. iBecks macrumors 6502

It should come with 2 x 1GB, one in each memory slot.

You can then purchase 2 x 2GB to max it out to 4GB, this will leave you with the 2 x 1GB to keep or sell on.

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

The MBP I just bought about two months ago came with two 1GB modules. I just upgraded to 4GB from OWC this week and the difference is noticeable, especially when I'm running Fusion. I just bought the 4GB upgrade kit for around $170 and it was super easy to install.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No matter what memory configuration it comes with you can go to 4Gb by buying and inserting 2x2Gb sticks from wherever you want. The basic configurations of 2Gb are 2x1Gb as clearly stated on the store page where you customise the machine.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

This is great news and means I wont have to spend the ridiculous amount apple charges!

Any downsides to installing it your self?

Ive done it on my powerbook and ibook and it seemed to easy to be true! Ha

Thanks

6. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Not really. Unscrew three screws, pop the old RAM out, pop the new RAM in, screw back in the panel and you're done. the whole thing takes maybe 10 minutes. The only thing you need is a fairly small Phillips screwdriver.

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Yes I understand this its just I was wondering whether there was any downsides to getting memory from say mac Upgrades instead of from apple itself...

Thanks

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Nope. Buy from a reputable company that offers a warranty and you'll be fine. Buying RAM direct from Apple will simply lighten your wallet significantly.

9. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for this, I just wanted to know as it is a new mac and I don't want it too be slower than it most possibly could be! Ha

So do Apple simply charge the extortionate prices because they no that so many un-knowledgeable people (who also wish to save time) will buy them?

Thanks

10. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Thats exactly why Apple does it, same as why car repairs cost so much. Its not hard to do, but some people don't have the time/knowledge to do it, no matter how easy it really is ;).

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But with a car, you know there is almost always at least 1 dipstick in every vehicle.