MacBook Pro Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by engles, Apr 20, 2008.

1. engles macrumors regular

I am looking to upgrade my MacBook Pro Memory

I have looked at my options and have noticed a reasonably large gap in prices for memory upgrades. I have found 4 companies that manufacture the memory I want to purchase.

I want to get 2 2GB DDR2 memory chips for my new 17" MBP Penryn
    I have found 4 different brands that manufacture it.

Other World Computing - $89.99
    TechWorks - $99.97
    Samsung - $125.99
    Micron - $129.99

does it matter which brand I get even if the price range is so wide.

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Order from crucial. I did it today for 4 GB memory. Very cheap. Good quality.

OWC is good too. Wait they're selling 4 gigs for 90? Damn...I have to make a quick change.

EDIT: Hey man thanks. I just switched to OWC and cancelled my order from Crucial. Saved me 20 bucks :p

3. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

Although via our site, our own brand outsells the other 3 combined about 10 to 1, we offer the other alternatives as rock solid options for those that may already have a preference due to other memory owned, etc. We've offered Techworks memory for over 15 years now and many customers have been buying and wish to continue buying Techworks. Micron and Samsung original are often found in systems factory installed and for certain purchases these factory original parts are sometimes even a requirement. As such, we make the options available so our customer can make the choice.

4. kingfish78 macrumors newbie

I've had some RAM trouble...

I ordered two 2GB modules from MemorySuppliers.com and ran into some compatibility trouble with my new 17" MBP 2.6GHz. After installation, the system began having repeated kernal panics - forcing me to restart after the grey curtain dropped on screen.

I tried installing just one of the modules and the machine ran better - for awhile. Then, the kernal panics hit again.

Oddly, when I would boot into the Apple diagnostics - the tests indicated that all 4GB checked out as good.

I did notice that the RAM was heating up much faster and hotter than the two 1GB modules which were factory installed.

I contacted the supplier and returned the modules, and replacements were sent out yesterday. Hopefully, these won't have any trouble.

5. Crucial9 macrumors newbie

Did you ever get new replacements and did those work, or did you have to go with a different brand or something?

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden