MacBook Pro - Messed up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RichieBoy, Dec 20, 2013.

1. RichieBoy macrumors newbie

Downloaded a Linux boot cd, held down C on startup and it loaded GRUB (not the Linux distro) typed help and a random command 'make partition active' and it said something is active.

Restarted machine and now it says no operating system. Any ideas? Windows doesn't even show in the options list to boot, but if I go into the recovery bit- it still shows the hard windows partition!?

Any ideas?!

2. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Restart it while holding down the option key, it should let you select the boot drive. If that doesn't work restart holding down command R and reinstall.

3. RichieBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. kreasonos macrumors member

I shook an 8 ball and it said "Outlook not so good."

5. RichieBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Did you try the restart while holding down the option key as suggested? Did you see any bootable partitions in that menu?

What model MBP are we talking about?

7. RichieBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 2012 MacBook Pro - yes I did that and macosx came up, clicked it and it took ages to load then restarted! Now it says EFI. The only other option is the recovery disk? That shows both partitions as normal but I can't boot into either

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

9. RichieBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

I mainly use windows and all my stuff is on dropbox, but it will be a pain to sort it out lol

10. RichieBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just tried a repair several times and it appears to be repairing it, but each time it says error and then I click repair and it gets a few stages further? Should I keep going?

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why bother buying a Mac then?

Unless you actually know what you're doing, using a live version of Linux and using terminal in it is a bad idea. You'll probably need to reinstall OS X, I'm guessing you corrupted something in the process.

12. RichieBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

I regret buying it - was thinking that earlier ha ha

That aside... I've reinstalled mac osx and am trying to work out how to boot back into windows. The windows partition and files seem to be there and uncorrupted!? Any ideas?