Macbook Pro Mid 09 Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ratoto67, Oct 5, 2011.

1. ratoto67 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    can someone give me the exact reference of the Toshiba Hard Drive (160 Go, 5400 rpm) that is inside the Macbook Pro 13 inch Mid 09 ?
    Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

What do you mean by "exact reference"?

You can view some information (including model number) yourself via going to the :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > System Profiler opens > Hardware > Serial-ATA.

3. ratoto67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for my english. I meant product number.

4. cindyhy macrumors member

5. ratoto67 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Why would you want to buy it? If yours is defective, you'd do better buying a newer (and better) drive (e.g. Western Digital Scorpio Black)

7. ratoto67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good question ;)
    I had a X25-M SSD in my Macbook. Two weeks ago, the hard drive was not recognized. I checked in an other Mac and PCs and it was indeed defective => Intel sent me a new one, which was not recognized in my Mac but was recognized in PCs and an old Macbook.
    Went to the apple Store => SATA bracket defective as an orginial Hard Drive is detected after a change in bracket. BUT the working SSD is not.
    Apple said that it should work with a standard hard drive (even so it is not working with my SSD) but also mentioned that they usually not fix computers, which lack original parts (original hard drive).

8. simsaladimbamba

I guess the Apple employee meant a standard HDD and not the exact same model they use in 2008 MBPs.
    You could simply get a 2.5" S-ATA HDD for yourself to try, though I doubt, that an HDD will work when an SSD won't.

Btw, as upgrading your HDD and RAM is allowed and not voiding the warranty, the Apple employee is in the wrong about not repairing the MBP, unless the damage is not covered by Apple Care.

9. ratoto67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well he mentioned original parts. I told him that it would be difficult for me to find the exact same model and that I might have to go for a different model. He then replied that this would be a problem if the new hard drive is not working.
    He mentioned I should have kept the original part.

----------

The day before I went to a different apple store and had the SSD not plugged in my laptop. They then refused to look at it telling me that the machine is not complete.I asked them to give me a screwdriver so that I can place back the SSD. Answer: "We do not have a screwdriver".

10. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Okay, so you're not completely mad! ;-)

LOL!

11. ratoto67 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL![/QUOTE]

Well, he was not laughing when he told me about the screwdriver. This is the problem !
    I am kind of stuck here. For me, there is no reason the SSD is not recognized (if an original hard drive is recognized). I will fetch the laptop tomorrow and check with a different SSD ...
    It is just so weird !
    Also, I find the genius were really not professional.

----------

I forgot to say. When I asked for the specific product number (for the oiriginal hard drive): "We do not have this information" (this was at a different Apple Store).