Macbook Pro mid-2007 (Santa Rosa), install Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techmonkey, Nov 13, 2011.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2007
    I am still running Leopard on my MBP mid-2007 model (Santa Rosa).

I assume my machine is supported since Leopard is 64bit OS, is this correct?

Ive been meaning to redo my computer, should I upgrade to Lion?

Can I upgrade from Leopard to Lion or is it best to do a clean-install?
  2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2008
  3. Badrottie Suspended

May 8, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yes you can install Lion 10.7.2 and for the best performance I would suggest you upgrade your memory to 4GB.
  4. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2007
    If I do a clean install, will this mess up my BootCamp Win7 install?
  5. calderone macrumors 68040

Aug 28, 2009
    Not unless you erase the Windows partition.
  6. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2007
    Can I do a clean install from Leopard using the Li n downlaod from the AppStore?
  7. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Can you download Lion from Leopard? I'm pretty sure Leopard does not have the App Store as it was introduced with Snow Leopard, unless things have changed...

I was running Leopard, and to upgrade to Lion I went to an Apple store and I bought a Lion USB and did a clean install. I just used Time Machine to backup and restore and it was pretty easy (although it took a while to backup and restore). This was useful because I upgraded my iMac that was running Leopard the same way.

Alternatively you could buy a SL DVD and then download a Lion upgrade? I think it costs the same either way...
  8. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2007
    I plan on extracting the Lion install to a flash drive and doing a clean install, overwriting my Leopard install. I also have Win7 installed on a Boot Camp partition. Will that be untouched an will I be able to use it after installing Lion? I also would like to resize my OSX partition so I can increase my Bootcamp partition. Should this be done before installing Lion?