Macbook Pro Mid 2009 - blinking/flashing folder with a question mark on it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schaefernd, Sep 14, 2014.

1. schaefernd macrumors newbie

Hi guys, and thanks for reading my post. Hopefully I posted in the right thread. Sorry if I didn't! I am a noob here:(

Anyway, I have a Macbook Pro mid 2009, and I think I am running 10.7, I honestly can't remember which exact software, but that would be my best guess.

I am getting the blinking/flashing folder with a question mark on it. HELP!

Leading up to this my laptop did the following in the last few days:
    Unexpectedly shuts down during use.
    Completely Freezes, no spinning wheel, every thing on the laptop is just frozen and doesn't move.
    Freezes with the spinning wheel. So I would have to restart.
    During reboot/starup it showed a odd menu screen before login and showed some english and other languages. ( I believe it was the apple help support screen) I think my laptop recognized that my computer just quit randomly and failed.
    I had no viruses, I completed full comprehensive scans with both avast, and Sophos.

At one point I got the folder with the question mark, and then rebooted my computer and then it worked! I was so happy.. I was then In the process of backing up all my data, and then out of no where it froze again.

Now every time I start it, the blinking folder pops up. Command + R, does nothing. I tried holding alt+option key, and the folder disappears, but all that appears is a blank screen and my black mouse cursor.

What would you recommend?

I checked numerous forums, and I am stuck on what I should do next. I read that it might be the Damaged data cable (Sata Cable).
    I found this video here showing how to replace it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1IiEe7TSKg.

What do you think the problem is? Should I try taking my hardrive out and try booting it from a external device?

Also, is there anyway I can someone retrieve the data from my hardrive if that is the problem.

Thanks so much for your help, I look forward to some suggestions!

Note: I have a Solid State Drive. 60 Gigabyte

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

From personal experience, I would guess that it's the SATA cable. They're very flimsy; I've gone through 5 or 6 in my 2009. If you didn't replace it when you put in your SSD, that would've been a good idea. Thankfully it's an easy fix, and your data is fine. The folder just means that the computer is having trouble connecting to the drive.

3. schaefernd thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I take my hard drive out and put it in a external hardrive encloser and try to boot it from the usb to make sure it's the SATA cable?

What do you recommend?

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Maybe. I've never done that before so I can't comment on it :/ Apple replaced my SATA cable for me most of those times because I had AppleCare at the time.