MacBook Pro (mid-2009) Hard Drive Upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RMRegan20, Nov 10, 2010.

1. RMRegan20 macrumors newbie

I'm new to this forum so my apologies if this topic has already been discussed. I searched for related threads, but didn't find anything.

I am in the process of upgrading my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro's hard drive. After reading instructions, many posts, and loads of other information, I selected a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB HDD. Prior to installing it, I performed a Time Machine backup on my external hard drive. My intention was to boot from my OS X install disc and then restore from Time Machine. (Of note, I don't have the original boot disc available to me, but instead have a OS X 10.5.5; I'm running 10.5.8. A friend told me this wouldn't be a problem. I mention this in case he wasn't correct.)

After installing the new HDD, I turned my computer on. I waited until seeing a folder with a question mark to insert the OS X install disc. After inserting the disc, the Apple logo appeared, and shortly afterward the winding "gear" image appeared. After up to 20 seconds, the screen went black. I tried doing the same thing a few times, and also tested pressing the C button upon startup. Upon each attempt to boot from the OS X disc, regardless of whether I pressed "C" while it loaded (also tested pressing C at different times during the loading process), the "gear" image continued until the screen went black. So, that's my problem. I try to boot from the OS X install disc only to ultimately get a black screen.

In case it's helpful, each time the screen went black, the HDD continued to run for a short time. Eventually it would stop and then restart again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. RMRegan20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Additional Information

New development: I had left my computer unattended since creating this thread. Just a few minutes ago I went to close my computer when I noticed a faint text box on my screen. It was so faint I could barely make it out...so perhaps my screen wasn't "black" after all. I was able to see a prompt, asking me to select my language for the OS X install process. I selected the first option, which I think was for English. The hard drive started up again, and then the next text box told me that OS X cannot be installed on my computer.

Thoughts?

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

According to MacTracker the original OS on a mid 2009 MBP is 10.5.7. Your 10.5.5 disc will not work. Also you need to reformat the new HD to OS extended journaled with a GUID partition table. If you can't find the discs that came with the MBP then you will need to purchase a retail Leopard disc with at least 10.5.7 or a retail Snow Leopard disc.