Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotmoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
I am planning to upgrade my MacBook Pro RAM from 2GB to 4GB or more according to the available but this is the first time I do a Mac upgrade. I mean, what is the best choice/brand for great RAM chips? Kingstone or another vendor? and how to make sure the newly added chips are working perfectly?

One last question which is about securing my Mac. I am going to send it to the guys and they might ask me to come pick it the next day (probably) and I want to make sure they don't access my data. Is it just okay to create a guest account password-free and make them use it or I need to make other things to make sure my data is secured and not accessed?

I am running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and here is RAM info from About This Mac:
Screen%20Shot%202013-03-02%20at%202.24.55%20AM.jpg

More info (might be needed):
Screen%20Shot%202013-03-02%20at%202.29.01%20AM.jpg

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I am planning to upgrade my MacBook Pro RAM from 2GB to 4GB or more according to the available but this is the first time I do a Mac upgrade. I mean, what is the best choice/brand for great RAM chips? Kingstone or another vendor? and how to make sure the newly added chips are working perfectly?

One last question which is about securing my Mac. I am going to send it to the guys and they might ask me to come pick it the next day (probably) and I want to make sure they don't access my data. Is it just okay to create a guest account password-free and make them use it or I need to make other things to make sure my data is secured and not accessed?

I am running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and here is RAM info from About This Mac:

More info (might be needed):

I think most people go with Crucial memory/RAM upgrades. Their upgrades are pretty cheap, yet powerful and it's a well-known company.

dotmoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
I think most people go with Crucial memory/RAM upgrades. Their upgrades are pretty cheap, yet powerful and it's a well-known company.

It's the first time I hear of this company but I am happy to see that there is a 8GB Kit (4GBx2) available and compatible with my Mac: http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB990LL/A Mid-2009&Cat=RAM

I might also consider purchasing it myself and try to find a DIY guide on how to install/upgrade RAM.

Thank you so much :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.