MacBook Pro (Mid 2009) RAM Upgrade advice(s)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dotmoe, Mar 1, 2013.

1. dotmoe macrumors newbie

dotmoe

I am planning to upgrade my MacBook Pro RAM from 2GB to 4GB or more according to the available but this is the first time I do a Mac upgrade. I mean, what is the best choice/brand for great RAM chips? Kingstone or another vendor? and how to make sure the newly added chips are working perfectly?

One last question which is about securing my Mac. I am going to send it to the guys and they might ask me to come pick it the next day (probably) and I want to make sure they don't access my data. Is it just okay to create a guest account password-free and make them use it or I need to make other things to make sure my data is secured and not accessed?

I am running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and here is RAM info from About This Mac:
    [​IMG]

More info (might be needed):
    [​IMG]

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I think most people go with Crucial memory/RAM upgrades. Their upgrades are pretty cheap, yet powerful and it's a well-known company.

3. dotmoe thread starter macrumors newbie

dotmoe

It's the first time I hear of this company but I am happy to see that there is a 8GB Kit (4GBx2) available and compatible with my Mac: http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB990LL/A Mid-2009&Cat=RAM

I might also consider purchasing it myself and try to find a DIY guide on how to install/upgrade RAM.

Thank you so much :)