Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgerice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Hey guys, i still use snow leopard on my macbook pro 13inch (mid 2009) and i cant update my programs, no security updates from Apple etc. My macbook has only 2GB of RAM and i want to upgrade it.

I read that there is a limit on any macbook. Can i upgrade my Macbook to 8GB, or the limit is 4GB?

Thank you!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If I remember correctly that one takes 8GB, while you are in there an SSD will be a better upgrade all round and the latest OS X versions run much better on them, at around $80 for a 250GB one at the moment they are well worth the effort.

8GB and an SSD will be better than new for you and El Capitan should mean even more performance improvements, it'll give you a few more years I expect.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX100...8&qid=1443009089&sr=8-1&keywords=bx+100+250gb

georgerice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
If I remember correctly that one takes 8GB, while you are in there an SSD will be a better upgrade all round and the latest OS X versions run much better on them, at around $80 for a 250GB one at the moment they are well worth the effort.

8GB and an SSD will be better than new for you and El Capitan should mean even more performance improvements, it'll give you a few more years I expect.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX100...8&qid=1443009089&sr=8-1&keywords=bx+100+250gb

Hey buddy, thanks for the quick response of yours. The problem is that i am a university student and i don't have much money to spend for my macbook. If i upgrade only my ram from 2 to 8GB will there be any problem with the new OS X software of Yosemite?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hey buddy, thanks for the quick response of yours. The problem is that i am a university student and i don't have much money to spend for my macbook. If i upgrade only my ram from 2 to 8GB will there be any problem with the new OS X software of Yosemite?

It'll run quite well but I'll be honest everything since mavericks always seems to run way better on SSD's for some reason, not to put you off though and a new SSD can be added when you have the cash if it's all running ok. You may want to wait for el capitan on the 30th of September and go straight for that though, it looks like it's optimised much better to run on less performance. In theory they will all run on 2GB but that will be leaving very little to have lots of apps or safari tabs open.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
If i upgrade only my ram from 2 to 8GB will there be any problem with the new OS X software of Yosemite?
No, in fact Yosemite will be much happier with that amount of RAM compared to the 2 GB you currently have. Yosemite isn't exactly new either, it's been around for about a year and is about to be replaced by El Capitan next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.