MacBook Pro Mid 2009 shouldn't buy Vertex 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daigohgoh, Mar 11, 2011.

1. daigohgoh macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm just learning about SSD right now.

I don't even know if I'm saying it right but here goes:

I have a MBP Mid-2009 and I read in this forums it doesn't have SATA 6 (or SATA 3...no idea what I'm saying) so it won't utilize the full speed of OCZ's Vertex 3 so the fastest my MPB Mid-2009 can go is the Vertex 2 generation (because I have SATA 2).

I just want to know where can I find this "SATA x" information? I looked at Wikipedia but didn't find the word SATA listed anywhere.

In Summary:
    1) Buy up to Vertex 2 for my MBP-Mid 2009?
    2) Where do I find the information about SATA regarding my MBP (if I even need to know)

Thanks so much.

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Correct.. Only the 2011's will support SATA 3 and yours supports SATA 2 so you wouldn't realize full performance.

Could you put a SATA III drive in? It should be backward compatible, but check the specs on the individual drive. If you plan on upgrading computers in the near future that may be a wise option.

You can see your SATA bus info in System Profiler.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

But a Vortex 3 is more future proof. If he gets a new machine in 2012 for example, he can swap his SSD Vortex 3 into the new machine.

5. daigohgoh thread starter macrumors newbie

wow wow wow! Thanks so much for your help!

yea, a good SATAII SSD and be done with it is what I'm thinking.

Yes, I did read a thread about being future proof going with Vertex 3. But I have a Mid-2009 going to two years and it's still same as new! (not sure how it would react to Lion). Even more so by upgrading RAM to 8GB.

So what I'm gonna do is wait until either Lion doesn't work as well (June)
    or wait until Thunderbolt I/O becomes cheaper
    or wait until MacBook Pros can go beyond 8GB of RAM.

So I'm keeping my Mid-2009 MBP for the moment.

Thanks again to all.

6. daigohgoh thread starter macrumors newbie

7. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Get the OCZ Vertex 2. I had good results with it in my previous MBPs.

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

I wouldn't call Vertex 3 future proof, as the quality of the firmware is still unknown.

Sure OCZ has done a pretty good job so far, but the early days weren't exactly spotless and look how terribly they handled the 25nm introduction into the Vertex2 line.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct. That is a SATA II connection.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would never buy anything from OCZ after the dishonest stunt they pulled with the Vertex 2.

11. daigohgoh thread starter macrumors newbie

12. pricej636 macrumors 6502

They changed from 34nm chips to 25nm chips in the vertex 2 but didn't tell anybody. The 25nm drives are slower as well. Causing some problems for the raid guys when they order two drives and get one of each flavor.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct. Now they say they made it all right buy giving anybody that was un happy a free exchange, but they only did this after being called out by users. Very shady.

14. rackom macrumors newbie

Anyway, I am able to put OCZ Vertex 3 in Mid2009 Macbook Pro? Will it run, even at speed of Vertex 2 e.g.?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't see why not. SATAIII is backwards compatible with SATAII connections.

16. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

+1. I am in the same boat. Never buying ocz.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It gets even better. Read this.

18. alph45 macrumors member

yah, that article bothered me too, even if it was from owc.

I'm definitely waiting for Lion and the next batch of SSD's before even considering an SSD.

19. eaf7s macrumors regular

Don't want to start a new thread and this is the closest thing going now.

I'm going to replace my 2011 13" MBP's HDD with a WD Scorpio Black (750gb). I wanted to put my new computer's HDD into my early '08 MBP--would this even be supported at all? Or would it just not perform up to its fullest potential in a SATA-III device?

20. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

The HDD in your 2011 13" is not SATA-III, so I'm not sure I understand your question.

The drive you take out of your 2011 and put in your 2008 will run at the max your 2008 has available. I believe this is Sata-II, but you would have to verify in System Profiler. It may be Sata I. Check it out.

If you are asking about the WD Scorpio Black, it will also perform at whatever it is specified for. If that's SATA-II, then 3gbps. Which, no single spinning HDD can even come close to saturating, so you will be fine.

21. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

SATA spec is backward compatible. I am getting a 6Gb SSD. I only have 3Gb on my MBP and Mac Pro right now. The Vertex 3 will saturate the 3Gb pipe of SATA2 with higher iops etc... Because I will be paying out the ass for the drive, I will move it into any new Mac I buy that WILL have 6Gb SATAlll, then I will get my 500 read, 500 write. Makes no sense to buy older tech unless if you ever plan to sell your macbook you are planning on giving them the SSD as well.

22. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

the vertex 2 comes close to maxing out the sata connection so go with that.

23. MacWorks macrumors newbie

Buy the Vertex 3

I whole-heartedly agree that buying the Vertex 3 makes the most sense because, in theory, the SSD will be a useable drive for much longer than the average mechanical hard drive. Therefore, you can pull the SSD and keep it when you replace your MBP.

And so what if it's able to completely saturate the SATA bus without maxing out performance in the disk. To me, that's a refreshing change ... finally storage technology that's waiting for the computer and not the other way around!

Further, I'd anticipate the if you're not running the SSD at full tilt, you probably are getting even better battery life than you would with the Vertex 2. (educated guess)

I'm currently in the same boat –*Mid-2009 MBP that I'm in no rush to replace and I most certainly will be getting the Vertex 3 so that it can go into whatever machine replaces my MBP down the road.

24. SicMX macrumors member

I'm also in the same boat (Mid 2009 MBP and won't upgrade until the MBP line has either removed the optical drive and/or has 2xThunderbolt ports to drive 2 large displays like the iMac).

Has anyone here tried the OCZ Vertex 3 with a Macbook Pro (Mid 2009)?

Thanks

25. MacWorks macrumors newbie

Vertex 3 in my Mid-2009 MBP

I installed the Vertex 3 in my MacBook Pro about 2 months ago and let me tell you ... it was the best decision I ever made! Soooo fast!