Macbook Pro Mid 2009 Slow Down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cozzyb, Sep 3, 2010.

1. cozzyb macrumors newbie

Okay, noticed this problem occurring more and more recently and struggling to find what it is causing the slow down.

on boot up, once osx is loaded i run my first program so lets say its safari, it eventually loads after quite some time (10 seconds or so) and then takes another 10 seconds to load the homepage, and when i try and click a link or whatever it seems frozen/crashed, and eventually responds.

Same for any other programs i run on startup. I thought originally maybe i had too many programs starting in background, so disabled almost all except my generic stuff in top right i.e. iantivirus, smartreporter and time machine.

Also i have noticed in the last week if i have any programs running in background or recently closed when playing starcraft 2 i get alot of slow down, but if i play it from fresh restart its fine.

The Ram has been upgraded to 4gb, however activity monitor shows 2gb used almost all the time and not on specific programs so obviously the system is using it :/

Hard drive is the generic 160 Hitachi that comes installed.

I run scripts on a weekly basis and run mac cleanup to remove and temperory files etc that may slow down.

So any ideas? tips? other then fresh osx reinstall.

2. cozzyb thread starter macrumors newbie

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Hard drive might be going to ****? Take it to a store?

4. cozzyb thread starter macrumors newbie

na dont think so as both smart reporter and disk utility show it as healthy.

5. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

6. cozzyb thread starter macrumors newbie

okay that passed, but disk utilty is now showing problems on the verify disk and says i should repair with the install disk, if i have got time machine up to date, if it kills my install i can restore from time machine yes? and wont lose anything?

7. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Theoretically yes. How full is your drive?