MacBook Pro mid 2009 What is grabbing all the memory???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mariwenz, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mariwenz macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro 15" mid 2009 and after using apple tv and downloading a movie yesterday I get an error message not enough memory to start up. I reset the pram and rhen reset the actual ram chips and it starts out better but something is grabbing all the memory. When I go to system monitor no one program seems to be causing the problem (under cpu) but when I go to network it show a lot of activity! Help?? any ideas what is causing this to happen. It was okay until after we played the movie???

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're trying to diagnose a RAM problem, why are you looking at CPU usage?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. mariwenz thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I went to Activity Monitor and was looking under system memory and the page out kept getting larger and larger. It was over 10Gb at one time but I didn't look under All Processes. I will have to go back in when I get a chance. Thanks for the link. I will get back to the forum when I can get more info. Not able to right now.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

My iMac is currently running for 23/28 days and look at its memory usage under the SYSTME MEMORY tab.

[​IMG]

6. mariwenz thread starter macrumors newbie

So what is causing it to slow down so much if a program isn't grabbing the RAM?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know, as you didn't provide any other information. I was just responding to your "10GB of swapped memory" comment, as I have double of that and don't experience any slow down as you describe.

If you have the chance to get a look at Activity Monitor, look at the Real Mem usage and report back.
    Maybe even take a screenshot like I did, so we can see your usage and provide better information.

Anyhow, how much storage capacity have you left on your HDD/SSD?