Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariwenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
I have a Macbook pro 15" mid 2009 and after using apple tv and downloading a movie yesterday I get an error message not enough memory to start up. I reset the pram and rhen reset the actual ram chips and it starts out better but something is grabbing all the memory. When I go to system monitor no one program seems to be causing the problem (under cpu) but when I go to network it show a lot of activity! Help?? any ideas what is causing this to happen. It was okay until after we played the movie???

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Are you sure you were informed about too few MEMORY (RAM) and not STORAGE CAPACITY?

Making The Most of Activity Monitor

Have a look at Activity Monitor (( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by Real Memory to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
4745264042_9c23afdbc9_b.jpg

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

mariwenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Okay, I went to Activity Monitor and was looking under system memory and the page out kept getting larger and larger. It was over 10Gb at one time but I didn't look under All Processes. I will have to go back in when I get a chance. Thanks for the link. I will get back to the forum when I can get more info. Not able to right now.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Okay, I went to Activity Monitor and was looking under system memory and the page out kept getting larger and larger. It was over 10Gb at one time but I didn't look under All Processes. ...

My iMac is currently running for 23/28 days and look at its memory usage under the SYSTME MEMORY tab.

4797687336_7a52352c79_b.jpg

mariwenz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
So what is causing it to slow down so much if a program isn't grabbing the RAM?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
So what is causing it to slow down so much if a program isn't grabbing the RAM?

I don't know, as you didn't provide any other information. I was just responding to your "10GB of swapped memory" comment, as I have double of that and don't experience any slow down as you describe.

If you have the chance to get a look at Activity Monitor, look at the Real Mem usage and report back.
Maybe even take a screenshot like I did, so we can see your usage and provide better information.

Anyhow, how much storage capacity have you left on your HDD/SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.