MacBook pro mid 2009, which SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DN667, Sep 28, 2011.

1. DN667 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a MacBook pro mid 2009 (bought in early 2010) which I want to upgrade with an SSD.

So I'm in doubt what SSD to get.. I see that the OCZ Vertex series are quite nice and I'm in doubt between a Vertex 2 or 3. The 3 is quite a lot faster than the 2 is, but can my MBP even handle that speed? Or won't it make a difference because my MBP is too old?

In the Vertex 3 series OCZ offers a regular model and a max iops one. Which should I get?

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Vertex s is a SATA III drive and your MBP is SATA II. It is backward compatible and will work, but you will not get SATA III speeds out of it. No reason to pay extra for Vertex 3 for speed you won't see unless you think you will be buying a 2011 MBO soon and want to move it to the new machine.

The Vertex 2 will work but has had fairly high failure rates. Many users here have had good luck with the Samsung 470 SSD or the Intel 320 SSD. Both seem to have no compatibility problems and are reliable.

If you get the Intel 320 make sure it has the latest firmware installed. Intel recently released a firmware to fix a nasty bug that was killing the drives.

3. Grumbles Guest

I have the same model and I ended up buying a new Kingston V+100 on eBay for around $120. It has good garbage collection (not using TRIM Enabler), like the Toshiba SSDs that Apple originally used in the Air, and is SATA II, which is the max that the 2009 MBP will support. Very quick bootup and apps load almost instantaneously (as with all SSDs to be fair), the SSD has made it feel like new again. No beachball/freezing issues and not a single complaint so far.

4. timex88 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    @grumbles, since your SSD have GC feature , does that mean you do not enable TRIM support ?

I bought my self a Samsung 470 128 GB, but to my surprise 10.6.8 does not enable TRIM support for drives other than apple's SSD.

Thank you