MacBook Pro Mid 2010 13" -- Need Adapter/Spacer for new SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daveyb468, Jul 26, 2014.

1. daveyb468 macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2010

Hello! My HDD, which came with my MacBook Pro, died last week and I've finally settled on what SSD to replace it with. (I know I won't be able to fully capitalize since SATA 2 will be a bottleneck, but I'd rather have a zippier SSD in case I get a new computer in the future.) Anyway, the Samsung 840 EVO is right for me.

(Product's full name: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW.) Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3W1726/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've done loads of research but still can't find any definitive answer as to whether I need an adapter/spacer for my new SSD. (I've never delved into computers before, so I bet I'm missing something that's obvious.)

So--do any of you know if I need a spacer/adapter so my new SSD will fit where my old HDD used to be? I really wouldn't want to buy a wrong SSD and have to deal with that mess. Would you perhaps be so bold as to provide a link to a product? Dare you be bold??

If you want any more specs from me, let me know! And thanks for being on your computer helping me fix my computer.

Cordially,
    David of the (Recent) Past

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Spacer? No you don't need any spacer.

It uses a SATA adapter, so its the same as a regular hard drive.

3. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

No, you need nothing. Simply take the HDD out and then place the SSD in. That's it! It's remarkably simple.

Also, once you install the SSD and get it up and running, ensure that you enable TRIM. This website should give you all the info you need including what TRIM is, how to enable it and how to verify it is on.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

MBP HDDs are held in place with screws. It doesn't matter that some SSDs are thinner than the HDD, it'll be held in place by the screws.

5. daveyb468 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, all. It feels great to have a response from all of you!

It'd be nice if all websites had the Advisor Tool and/or System Scanner like Crucial does. Thank you again.