Macbook Pro Mid 2010 13" wont turn on :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CheesPreist, Oct 29, 2013.

1. CheesPreist macrumors newbie

It all started last year,
    At the airport coming home from interstate, xray machine, put mbp in, comes out, massive electric shock from the unibody of the mbp.
    Ever since then my macbook hasn't been right, turning off randomly, loud fans, slow boot, slow to turn off and a couple unexpected shutdowns.
    But it was the latest one that killed it.
    Last night I went to turn off my mbp, go to apple menu>shut down, doesnt do anything, I knew it could be loading so I leave it for 5 min and I close all open applications.
    Nothing.
    Hold down power button. Nothing. I hold it Dow. For 1 minute, turns off but then reboots, then turns off, then reboots and then it says it has been restarted due to an unexpected shutdown...
    Wait for it to boot up completely then shut down to go to bed.
    Wake up in the morning, hold power button, nothing.
    absolutely nothing at all.
    I opened it up, pulled the battery connector out and back in, nothing.
    Magsafe light is green...
    Someone please help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like something shorted out. I mean if you got a massive shock, then something bad happened and nothing we can offer other then take it into apple for diagnosis/repair.

I've traveled enough to know that xray machines in of themselves are not harmful to computers but certainly something happened :(

3. CheesPreist thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thank for the quick reply.
    Yeah I have had the mbp on many flights but none have done this, so that was very weird for me,you're right it could have shorted out but I think that the shock was static.
    Anyway any idea on what could be the problem/ fix?

4. yangchewren macrumors regular

Perhaps you should try to exclude the cheapest repair first before proceeding. Go meet up with a friend to use his macbook charger that is verified to work.

If that doesn't work, try reseating the ram. Next, try running on a single ram slot. Do this for both slots.

After excluding these possibilities, it should be certain that a non-user replaceable part is at fault, which means you may have to get your hands dirtier or send it back to Apple for diagnostics.