Macbook pro mid-2010 15inch Charging issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aznmastah54, Apr 2, 2013.

1. aznmastah54 macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

So here's the problem... My macbook pro (mid-2010 15 inch model) isn't able to be charged anymore. I used to be able to get it to charge by pressing the adapter jack hard against the magsafe port, but now I can't get it to charge now. I know it's not an issue with the charger because I tried with a friends charger (brand new) and it doesn't work with my macbook. I have a feeling it might be the magsafe port but I'm not sure... please help! I want to try my best to avoid having to spend hundreds of dollars to fix something that might possibly be simple to fix...

Thanks

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

The port might have a loose connection to the battery. Open up the bottom of your notebook and check if the connection is loose. You can try to replace the port if tightening it doesn't help. It seems pretty easy.

Here are some instructions for a similar macbook:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6FIMcWAblU

And the port is pretty inexpensive:
    http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Unibody-Model-No-A1342-MagSafe-DC-In-Board/IF160-034

Again, both of these are not exactly for your mac, but I'm sure you can find the correct parts. Good luck!

3. aznmastah54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do the Apple guys care if we opened up our macbook pro or not? I took a look inside to see what was going on, took a look at the battery connection to see if there was any problem with that too. Will apple refuse to service my mac or ask me to pay extra to service it if I took a look inside? It probably voids warranty but I'm out of warranty anyway (I think...)...

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Opening up your macbook and looking inside is fine. The manual that came with the notebook even shows you how to open it up. You're not supposed to change the battery yourself, but since your warranty would be void by now, it doesn't really matter.

Just take a look inside and feel the connection. They're not going to know unless you break something.