Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
Hello. I am looking for a new battery for my 17'' mid 2010 Macbook Pro. I am from Romania, and I am looking for a place from Europe to buy, since I don't want to spend a lot on shipping. I found some batteries on sites like Amazon, Ebay, but I don't really know which one to choose. I would like to buy a high quality one. Does this one have good quality? https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Parts...rly-2009-to-Mid-2010-Replacement-Battery.html

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I second the ifixit battery.
BE SURE TO BUY AND USE THE RIGHT TOOLS.

One thing that's important:
When you disconnect the old battery from the motherboard, use either a PLASTIC "spudger tool" or just your fingers. DON'T use anything that's metal !!!
I've read of people who tried using a metal tool (like the tip of a screwdriver), and hit a "hot" connection, and shorted out the whole motherboard !!

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
Thank you for the info! I am still thinking if I will change it myself, or if I will take it to a service. I have experience with opening phones and replacing some parts (simple ones, like the charging port), but I have never opened a macbook. There is a tutorial on the ifixit site, and I found it pretty detailed, but when you do it yourself for the first time, is not as simple as it looks in the photos (anyway, youtube can help also). First step though is to have the battery. I am still postponing the purchase because of some money problems. But the battery just came back on stock, so if I don't order it in the very next future, I am afraid that I will not find it anymore in the next 1-2-3 days

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
The battery arrived. I changed it manually. It works fine. But I have one question. According to CoconutBattery, it has 2 cycles. Is this normal? I am not worried about it, it is like a new one, I am just wondering if it is normal, and if they are delivered like this all the time, or it should be with 0 cycles.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 18.28.50.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 18.28.50.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 150

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
After almost 3 weeks of using the battery, I have a kind of problem with it.

I can use the macbook around 6 hours on battery, so I am very satisfied with it from this point of view. But the problem is that it shuts down at around 13%. But the shut down is not the "smooth" one (like the one when the battery is empty), but the type like when you don't have a battery at all, and you remove the power source, it shuts down instantly.

I tried 2 things:

- the first was to plug the charger and start the macbook immediately, and every time it shows 7% battery.
- the second was to open up the macbook, disconnect and reconnect the battery thimble (I hope it is the right term), and after I do this, the macbook starts normally (without being connected to the power source) - and is shows 7% battery. I can use it until it shuts down automatically because of empty battery. This time it shuts down normally, in the "smooth" way.

What can be the issue here?

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
After almost 3 weeks of using the battery, I have a kind of problem with it.

I can use the macbook around 6 hours on battery, so I am very satisfied with it from this point of view. But the problem is that it shuts down at around 13%. But the shut down is not the "smooth" one (like the one when the battery is empty), but the type like when you don't have a battery at all, and you remove the power source, it shuts down instantly.

I tried 2 things:

- the first was to plug the charger and start the macbook immediately, and every time it shows 7% battery.
- the second was to open up the macbook, disconnect and reconnect the battery thimble (I hope it is the right term), and after I do this, the macbook starts normally (without being connected to the power source) - and is shows 7% battery. I can use it until it shuts down automatically because of empty battery. This time it shuts down normally, in the "smooth" way.

What can be the issue here?

Possibly a faulty pin on the connector.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What you're seeing is probably "the hazards" of buying and installing a non-Apple-original battery.
But... sometimes there aren't any other choices.

All one can do is --- learn to live with the "quirks" of the battery inside.

So... if it regularly shuts down on you at 13% or so charge, get into the habit of attaching the charger as soon as the battery drops to about 20-18%.

Sometimes one has to do ... what one has to do.

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
Possibly a faulty pin on the connector.

Is it possible for this to manifest in this way?
[doublepost=1519750589][/doublepost]
What you're seeing is probably "the hazards" of buying and installing a non-Apple-original battery.
But... sometimes there aren't any other choices.

All one can do is --- learn to live with the "quirks" of the battery inside.

So... if it regularly shuts down on you at 13% or so charge, get into the habit of attaching the charger as soon as the battery drops to about 20-18%.

Sometimes one has to do ... what one has to do.

It is not correct to happen like this. I bought the best possible non-apple battery (as people say), so it should work fine

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
I sent an email to ifixit to describe the situation, and they said that most probably the battery has some problems. They will send me another one, and I will send this one back. So they are really professionals, I am happy with the way they treated the situation

Reactions: Samuelsan2001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.