Macbook Pro (mid 2010) HD help

JM3581

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Hi I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.1. Yesterday I started it up and the computer wouldn't boot the apple logo and status bar would appear then it would shut off. I was able to but from a external hard drive and run disk utility the HD appears in disk utility but is uninitialized and the partition is gone and the drive will not mount and the options for both are unavailable in disk utility. When i attempt to erase and reformat the drive (osx extended format and GUID partition map) I get a error message of : DISK ERASE FAILED - WIPING VOLUME DATA TO PREVENT FUTURE ACCIDENTAL PROBING FAILED. I've tried the same thing after booting in recovery mode and the get the same error. Does anyone know what i can do to get the drive to mount and re partition it? Thanks.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Pretty much what simonsi said. If you want, you might try connecting it externally in a case or with a SATA-USB cable and see if that yields anything different.

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Just to add, frm its size I'd guess this is the original drive so I personally wouldn't spend any time on it, 5yrs is well on the life of a 5yr old HDD, replace, restore from backup and enjoy the extra space (I haven't seen anything less than a 500GB drive for a couple of years now...). Its a simple 10min replacement.

c8rlo

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
FL
JM3581, sounds like it's time for an SSD upgrade. i have the same year MBP, you won't regret upgrading.

JM3581

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Thanks everyone for the replies. I went ahead and replaced the original HDD with a SSD and everything is back up and running smoothly.

Reactions: simonsi