Macbook Pro - Mid 2010 Model SSD problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LarryG51o, Dec 9, 2014.

1. LarryG51o macrumors newbie

Hello there guys!

New to the forum and would like some help if possible. I recently bought a SSD drive (Samsung 840 EVO) and installed it on my Macbook to replace the regular crappy 500HDD drive but now its OVERHEATING like crazy. It so hot to the point where it can burn you so of course, I immediately turn everything off so I don't fry anything. When I put the stock HD in, it doesn't get hot but when the SSD is installed, it gets hot within minutes of usage.

(The SSD itself is completely cool but it looks like the board is extremely hot)

I Googled extensively and contacted several local computer repair shops and they are clueless. The only thing they recommend to do is 'replace hardware'.. (I can do that myself if that was the case).

1. I've reformatted the computer.
    2. I reset the SMC.
    3. I've downloaded programs to manually control the fan but it drains the battery massively.
    4. I used a TRIM.

Any other ideas or am I stuck with having to put back the oem hard drive from Apple?

SSD Model : Samsung EVO 840 MZ-7TE250 (250GB)
    Macbook Pro: MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010) 2.66 GHZ i7 - 8GB 1067Mhz - Nvida Geforce GT 330M 512MB - OS X 10.9.5

Thank you guys!
    Larry

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Upgrade the firmware

I think there is a firmware update for the EVO that mitigates some problems with yosemite. if that doesn't work it's faulty hardware send back to samsung for replacement...

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Just wondering....

Do you happen to have an external enclosure, or perhaps a USB3/SATA docking station available?

If so, I'd suggest putting the HDD back into the MacBook.
    Take the Samsung SSD and put it into the enclosure or dock.
    Connect the dock to the MacBook and boot up from the SSD (now mounted externally).

Does the MacBook still get hot while running?

Sounds like -something- software-related on the SSD is causing the MacBook CPU to go into "full overdrive", running full-blast and of course, overheating...?

In my own experience:
    I have an April-2010 MacBook Pro 13" that I put an Intel 520 series SSD in, and it runs as cool as the proverbial cucumber...

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Is your CPU running on full capacity when it overheats?

5. johnh57 macrumors regular

Just for reference - I have a 15" mid 2010 MPB running Yosemite with the 500GB 840 EVO drive. I have done the firmware update on the drive. I'm running the macbook in clamshell mode and I rarely turn it off. The underside of the macbook is warm to the touch, but not 'hot'. I ran the firmware update as soon as I got the drive installed so I did not have an opportunity to notice temps before the update.

From what I've read about security issues with trim software and yosemite I've been reluctant to do any Trim on the EVO drive.

Before I installed auto cad lt for mac I had an older version of auto cad running on bootcamp - the macbook was significantly warmer, almost hot to the touch running windows 7 pro, than it was on os/x.

6. LarryG51o thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem I am having is very interesting because as I was updating, the laptop just gets warm and doesn't get too hot. While it was installing and downloading, it was warm but once the installation happened, it started getting extremely hot. I am starting to narrow it down to the graphics card because when I watch Youtube videos at 1080p, that's when it gets EXTREMELY HOT.

The firmware is up to date and running the latest OS. I highly doubt its the faulty hardware because I tried it on my desktop and it works perfectly fine. I am 100% is something software related or sensor that's not making the SSD work directly with the Macbook pro... extremely annoying.

----------

Yeah, I have an enclosure. I bought it when I cloned everything over and while it was doing that, the computer is fine. Everything has been formatted and I am still having the issue.

It has to be software because the SSD does not get hot at all.

----------

Nah, i am doing absolutely nothing. Everything in the background is closed and the temperature slowly creeps up and it creeps up at a high rate of speed when I watch Youtube...

7. clea915 macrumors newbie

How long have you used your EVO without having Trim enabled. I have the same MBP and SSD as you, I'm just waiting until I can get a copy of mavericks installer or Yosemite allows trims for third party ssd's. SO, sadly my evo sits in the box it came in.

8. LarryG51o thread starter macrumors newbie

Very very interesting.. I have the EXACT same SSD as you, exact same laptop and mine over heats like crazy.

The firmware is up to date also : /

Wonder what can it be .. or do I have to go back to crappy HDD....

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Larry wrote above:
    [[ Very very interesting.. I have the EXACT same SSD as you, exact same laptop and mine over heats like crazy.
    The firmware is up to date also : /
    Wonder what can it be .. or do I have to go back to crappy HDD.... ]]

My response is that there must be something in the way that the Samsung drive interacts with the MacBook -- if not hardware, then perhaps software or firmware -- that is putting the CPU into overdrive (and overheating).

I have a NON-Samsung SSD in my own MacBook Pro (2010), and it doesn't even get moderately warm during non-video usage (playing video will warm it up a little, but not a lot).

As a latch-ditch option, I suggest you try an SSD -other than- Samsung.
    Crucial m500 series might be a good choice.
    The SSD I use is an Intel 520 series.