Macbook Pro Mid 2010 SSHD Update.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by narimans, Jun 27, 2013.

1. narimans macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an old MBP-2010 (7,1) which I would like to update. Does anyone have idea about how segate momentus XT 750 GB is? I have seen few reviews that says it's almost close to SSDs performances but quite a lot of difference in storage and money point of view. Any thoughts? Or should I stick to SSD only?

Thanks in advance,
    Nariman.

2. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I love the ones I put in our laptops. They really make a huge difference. That being said, if I could make do with 256GB, I would get an SSD at those prices. I need 500GB of space and the 500GB+ SSDs just aren't worth it for me yet. When they get down to $250 (or come standard in the base rMBP), I'll upgrade then. My wife needs at least 750GB, so she'll be in for a hybrid for a while longer I suspect.

As for the performance, my boot time is roughly 12-14 seconds from chime to login screen and about 4-5 seconds from login screen to fully operational, and that's with a boatload of 3rd party menubar apps and startup menu items. My wife's full process knocks 2-3 seconds off of that. Apps that you use all the time open instantaneously, and those that you don't still open much faster than they did on the 5400rpm HDD.

____

3. narimans thread starter macrumors newbie

Boot time 12-14 secs :eek: not bad at all. 250GB SSD comes around $230bucks where as 750GB SSHD for $99 huge difference in price point of view for 2 seconds. Also I hear that SSD's reliability is always fluctuating compared to traditional HDD.

Any idea on how was your battery's life? Do they have any impact after changing to Hybrid drive?

Thanks for your reply. :)