Macbook Pro Mid 2010 Utility Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by golfing bob, Jan 17, 2015.

1. golfing bob macrumors member

I have a Mid 2010 MacbookPro that I updates from Snow Leopard to Yosemite. Still working on a few issues. I have 4 Utilities that will not open:

Activity Monitor
    Airport Utility
    Disk Utility
    System Profiler

I get the following message when I try to open:
    You can't use this version of the application with the current version of OS X. Your system is 10.6.0

Is there any download I can get to update these?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

you do no need to update these 4 apps that were installed by the Yosemite installer.

Try this : restart the Mac and hold Cmd + r on chime, in order to boot up from the Recovery partition.

From the "Mac OS X Utilities" window that shows up, select "Disk Utility".

Select your Macintosh HD disk on the left, and "Repair the permissions".

Then quit Disk utility and restart, then test launching the apps.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Those 4 utilities are natively installed in your Applications/Utilities folder.
    One of those that you mentioned - System Profiler - does not exist in Yosemite.
    The utility with that function is now called "System Information"
    So, I suspect that you have a folder with those 4 items that you have been using when you were still using Snow Leopard, and when you upgraded, those apps (in the wrong location!) were ignored by the OS X upgrade.

Or, you are trying to use some of the utilities that you used in Snow Leopard. Many of those will work when you are booted to Snow Leopard, but are not compatible (won't work) if you try to use the same utilities in Yosemite.
    Here's how to fix that - You are booted to Yosemite, click on the desktop, so your menubar has "Finder" next to the Apple menu. Click on the Go menu, and choose "Utilities". Look for the utility named System Information. That's the correct one that will work in Yosemite. :D
    THAT Utilities folder has the utilities will work. If you no longer use or boot to Snow Leopard, then you can trash the non-working utilities that you listed. Just use the ones that reside in the folder that I helped you find.
    Gets confusing because Apple tends to keep the same name for system apps that have the same function. And, typically those utilities will not work with OS X versions that are older (or newer)

Your error message said that you were booted to OS X 10.6.0 (!) Why would you need to boot to the old, non-updated system? Current for 10.6 is 10.6.8

4. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

Delta Mac,

Thanks! That worked. How can I get the Utility folder on the DOCK??

Bob

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Drag it from the Applications folder to the Dock.

6. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member