MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) with SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jaymie, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Jaymie macrumors newbie

Hello, I am wanting to upgrade to an SSD but I am still unsure whether it will affect anything.

I've got an MacBook Pro Mid 2010 Unibody version with a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz processor. My close friends have SSD's but with i3's and i7's and have amazing speeds. So I am still unsure if an SSD will improve speed despite the fact a slow-ish processor?

Thanks In Advance.

PS. If this post is in the wrong place, sorry. This is my first one :)

2. Joelburman, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

It will be a major difference! Don't even hesitate about it. Its the best upgrade you could ever do to it. The only true bottleneck for a 2010 MBP is that you only have SATA II on it so it won't give you full speed from a SATA III disk but it still will be doing eights around any HDD.

3. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Well, I also did the same in my old MBP 2010 (13") but I got up to 240MB/s in read & write because of SATA 2. Noticeable? Only at opening apps and copying some files, not much more. You'll notice it a bit but nothing else if you are doing something a bit demanding (the C2D processor would be the bottleneck).

My experience, having the same model as you: I recenlty switched to a 2014 MBA 13" and it's like silk, nothing to do with my old MBP with a SSD (now getting 670MB/s writing & 740MB/s reading). And that just talking about disk speed, not taking into account that it has an i5 (much better than the C2D), better battery life, sighly but noticeable better display, lighter & thinner, USB 3.0...
    If you just do some casual stuff, then an SSD will be ok, but if you are planning to do something heavier, just don't spend more money on it, sell it (you'll get more than you expect) and get something new (a 2013-2014 Air would be a great upgrade from yours). Just my opinion after being in the same situation as you.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a MBP 15" 2010, and I put in 8gb of ram and a 256gb SSD. It really helped a lot. Keep in mind that it will make things load faster, but speeds in applications will not be affected.

5. jaduff46 macrumors regular

jaduff46

Post is 18 months old. Sure there are more choices now at lower cost!