Macbook Pro Mid 2012 cracked lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by George7, Jun 1, 2016.

1. George7 macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2012 MBP which I've had for about 2 and a half years now, bought brand new. It's been a great machine and it suits me very well. I have however recently noticed that it has a crack on the aluminium lid. I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but from a bit of Googling, I can't see that it's not a common issue at all; I can only find references to the casing cracking on the old plastic Macbooks. It's been on holiday with me a fair few times, which involves it being carried around in the laptop compartment of my backpack along with my camera, iPad, and various other bits and pieces, which would I guess involve it being 'pressed' a bit, but I'd expect aluminium to develop a dent if it was overstressed, rather than crack.

I'm not too bothered about the damage if it doesn't get any worse, as it doesn't effect anything. I'm just worried about the crack eventually spreading to the edge/getting worse.

At 2 and a half years old, it's way out of warranty, but is it worth trying to get Apple to fix it? I'm guessing it's probably not even worth trying and they'd probably say it's just cosmetic damage. Also, is it easy enough to change 'just' the lid if the crack does end up getting worse and causing issues? I've seen that a whole screen and lid assembly costs £150 on eBay, but I'm loathed to buy that considering the screen is absolutely fine. I've also seen just the lids for around the £50 mark, but if it's a really difficult job, I'll probably not bother.

Image below, has anyone seen this happen before?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vxi5D47e6hZjCYXuB7-HO-ujGgI5qbQ-iQ

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Never seen it before that is unusual, Apple will consider it damage though and charge you to replace the whole screen assembly.

Ifixit will have a guide to replace any parts you might want take a look there and work out what you think you can do.

3. George7 thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems a little bit involved to replace just the lid as it seems to be glued together according to some people, which is disappointing, although I can't find anything definitive as no one seems to have posted a guide of replacing just the lid and not the LCD/glass as well. Replacing the whole screen assembly looks simple enough, it's just expensive and unnecessary at the moment.

As long as it gets no worse and the structural integrity remains OK, I don't mind too much, just afraid of the lid eventually snapping in 2! Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does I may be forced to buy the whole assembly at £150.