Macbook Pro Mid 2012 dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akotalik, Mar 29, 2014.

1. akotalik, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

akotalik macrumors newbie

Hello, thanks for reading this!

I have a macbook pro mid 2012 13 inch that is completely dead, magsafe charger plugged in- sometimes green light, sometimes nothing, battery indicator nothing.

The board is very clean, no water damage (I have worked on hundreds of water damaged boards, so I believe I am quite good at spotting the tiniest corrosion)

The battery is completely shot, I put it in a working pro and it does not charge, it only has 0.15V on it, which again leads me to believe that it was shorted. I even took this board and put it in my working late 2011, no life, and vice versa (put the working 2011 board in this computer, everything was working but it was slow as hell- I believe this is because the temp sensors are not cross-compatible)

I did read the very long thread on dead macbooks, the temp fix does not work, also I would like to try to do that test on gehot pins, but my board looks different, so idk where it is.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Normally, it costs USD300 out of warranty.

3. akotalik, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

akotalik thread starter macrumors newbie

Great info, thanks. I didnt know if it was more for mid 2012, that is not too bad i guess. I may just pay that and leave it, since i got the computer cheap

4. chrfr macrumors 603

That's typically about what the Apple depot repair option costs. It's a flat rate repair and will usually fix anything else they find wrong with the computer, except for the display.
    The catch is that if they believe the fault is due to damage caused by the customer, the repair will cost significantly more.

5. akotalik thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok makes sense I guess haha, but on the other hand they will quote you the price before they do it right? :) I can try it I guess, but I am not paying like the price of a new macbook

6. akotalik thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, would you recommend to take it to an apple store or like the certified repair place? Or it makes no difference....

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Just take it to an Apple store, have them send the bloody thing to depot repair and be done with it.