Macbook pro Mid 2012 Freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by igiboi, Jun 17, 2012.

1. igiboi macrumors member

Hey whats up guys,

I got a mid 2012 Mbp 13" the other day and right when I opened the machine and setting it up, it froze.

-tried updating it, it froze and had to power down using power button on the computer.
    -was able to update it eventually and still froze with 10.7.4
    -tried couple of times downloading diablo 3 and it froze and was able to install it
    -Tried playing it, computer froze everytime
    -Opened netflix, it froze
    -re-installed OSX using cmd+r
    -ran 10.7.3 and it froze
    -updated it again, 10.7.4 it still freezes
    -In a day it freezes about 3-4 times,
    -Right now its running for an hour without freezing and Ive been just watching movies on hbo go.
    -Called apple care and was adviced to bring it to an apple store to have it replaced.

So reason I'm writing this is, Is this a big issue? cos I would comeback to bestbuy and swap it out for a different computer. This is my 2nd mbp pro 13" and the last model i had was a 2010 and had no problems with it.

Im definitely coming back to bestbuy and swap it out for a different 13" mbp pro and see if it still freezes.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what I'd do.

3. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

4. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

My rMBP is freezing approx. 4/5 times it goes into screensaver mode. Happened in the base install of OS X and with a clean install as well. Has anyone else seen this? Other than that it operates perfectly.

This feels like a software issue, not hardware otherwise I should be seeing it other places. Getting really tired of losing my place in conversations, downloads, etc since I have to trigger a hard reboot.

--
    Chad

5. igiboi thread starter macrumors member

I just wanna know if I come in there and try to replace this with a 13" mbp or with a 13" mba. Cos i was dancing around the MBA since I wanted something different.

But it seems this isnt a common issue since there aren't a lot of threads regarding this.

6. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

You can change and return 14 days without questions, both online and in store (us).

7. igiboi thread starter macrumors member

8. igiboi thread starter macrumors member

Ok guys, update.
    Swapped it out at a local bestbuy, they said they will run diagnostics on it. So they came back to me and said it didnt freeze on them so far and they ran diagnostics and they said nothings wrong. So I still had it swapped out, first thing i got home i tried and so far so good. But yesterday and today it has been freezing again. It froze like twice yesterday and it restarted by itself and today it has done it once. Ill observe till tomorrow and ill return the laptop and swap it out for a windows machine. Theres no excuse for a 1200 machine to freeze all the time. My windows laptop never froze on me like this.

9. rodzr macrumors newbie

Just curious. Are the freezings happening when you have Google Chrome running? I have had 2 freezings so far and it seems that Chrome is responsible for this.

10. igiboi thread starter macrumors member

Ah I guess its chrome then, was just weird when I got this 2nd one and it was fine for about a week until 2 days ago when it started to freeze again. Well I uninstalled chrome and am observing it so far.

11. rodzr macrumors newbie

Great, let us know how it goes.

12. xp0z3d macrumors regular

So if we buy Macbook Pro from Best Buy, how many days are there when you can return it for full refund or exchange if things are not working out? As I am also about to buy one from there so was wondering if same thing happens to me what are my options.

13. igiboi thread starter macrumors member

I think its 30 days and if you are a silver member in bestbuy rewards its 60 days. But I'm not pretty sure if they are NO questions asked type of refund because when I had my first one exchanged, they ran dx on it and they asked me to wait for like 30 minutes, but I still insisted on an exchange which they did.

Well so far so good, no freezing, I read in blogs that its probably the chrome thats causing it.

14. TheDutchGuy macrumors member

TheDutchGuy

Funny part is, I'm running Google Chrome on my new 2012 MBP as well, nothing happened, no freezing, no beachballs, nothing... Strange...

15. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Is it Chrome causing the issues or the Canary Builds of Chrome?

16. ssajous macrumors member

2 seperate issues are being discussed here

Try turning off the automatic display switching. Mac OS seems to suck at doing that.