Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mackid1993, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mackid1993 macrumors member

I just purchased a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro, and I've been thinking about upgrading the Hard Drive to a faster 7200 RPM one. I talked to an Apple Care rep, and I was told that replacing the Hard Drive in this model may void my warranty... strangely it was okay in the Late 2011 and prior models. Can anyone confirm this, is this particular rep correct? FYI, he also said that upgrading the RAM voids the warranty, but I found an Apple support article explaining how to do it in this model. Thanks.

2. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

It is going to differ from country to country, but generally both the HDD and the RAM are considered (by Apple) to be user-servicable (and therefore replaceable by the user without voiding the warrantee). Having said that, they can require that this work be carried-out by a qualified technician. As long as you're reasonably competent, and you use the proper tools (i.e. don't try and use a butter-knife), and keep the original items to swap back in should you need to get it serviced by Apple there is little they could complain about (i.e. they would never know). Obviously, if you damage your MBP in the process then you have voided the warrantee.

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

The previous poster is correct regarding not voiding your warranty. The only thing I might add is consider installing an SSD. Prices have dropped drastically recently and there are some great deals to be found. You will be amazed at the performance improvement you gain by adding an SSD and additional RAM.

4. mackid1993 thread starter macrumors member