Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darkzero749, May 2, 2019.

1. darkzero749 macrumors newbie

Hello, I just bought this beautiful Macbook Pro 2012 and I am having this issue.
    I checked everything and it checked out. I have the password to the User Admin account but i still wanted to do a clean slate. I did the CMD + R and it brought me to Utility Disk part.

I went to see the disks and I only saw "Untitled" and i couldn't do anything with it? I did not see "Macintosh HD" the default name. I tried installing a clean OS but it said it was encrypted and locked and i needed a password.. What do i do? I would like to get a clean restore.

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Boot to internet recovery.
    Open Disk utility.
    Choose the disk (should be the top line in the list), and click Erase.
    Macintosh is the standard name for the boot drive on a Mac - but not the default name. If you choose to erase the drive without naming the volume, it will be named "Untitled". You can name the volume anything you like, including "Macintosh HD", if that's what you want :cool:
    If the drive came to you encrypted, you can choose the device (the top line, usually with the device model number, NOT the drive partition name! Then erase should also remove the encrypted volume, and reset the drive to one partition.

3. darkzero749 thread starter macrumors newbie

hello, i just tried it and did the CMD + OPTION + R and I did the internet recovery but right after it, it just reboots and goes back to my login screen? tried it twice and it always does that. Am i suppose to press CMD + R again when it reboots?

4. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

It may be that the machine you purchased is locked with a firmware password. Who did you purchase it from?

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Reboot to Internet Recovery: Restart, holding Option + Command + R
    Keep holding those same keys until you see the spinning globe - which you will see instead of the normal Apple icon.
    When you see that spinning globe, release the keys, and wait. You are booting to Apple's remote server, so it can sometimes take a few minutes to complete - and you will finish booting to the menu screen. Find the terminal in the Utilities menu. Enter the command. Should tell you that SIP is disabled. Restart normally.

If you get a PASSWORD screen (padlock, with an empty space next to it), then you have a firmware password (and you have a problem

6. darkzero749 thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased from a Pawn shop for $200 lol. Everything works and I can log in but i want to install a clean slate just incase but i cannot.
    The weird thing is, the padlock will come up but i just put my login password and it starts loading into the globe but it doesn't go back into the Utilities menu, it just reboots normally.

So, when i do Option + CMD + R, the spinning globe will pop up and it'll start loading and the padlock comes up. I'll put my login password and it'll start loading again with the globe. But, after this loading part, it just reboots to my normal login screen without actually going to the Utilities Menu.

What is the command for the terminal?

Padlock like that right? Like the photo i attached. I put my password like normal and it'll start loading back into the globe. It just restarts though after completion, doesn't go to Utitilies again. Am i supposed to press CMD + R again?

Attached Files:

7. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

Yes, that's a firmware password and you are very likely out $200.00. I have to think that a MacBook Pro from a pawn shop may have been stolen and then pawned because it's useless with the firmware password lock.

8. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Your Macbook Pro is not accepting the firmware password. At that point of booting, it doesn't do the normal "bounce" of an incorrectly typed password, it simply ignores your wrong password, and does what it is supposed to do - block booting to any other partition or drive. THAT'S why it simply reboots.
    (hint: the login password that you use to boot normally is NOT the same as the firmware password. If you don't know what the firmware password is, the only hope is clearing the firmware password. That used to be pretty simple by removing (or adding) a stick of RAM, then doing a normal PRAM reset. Apple changed that functionality, mostly during the 2011 model year. Now, you clear it by taking your MacBook Pro to Apple, so they can use their proprietary process to clear that.
    So, Apple can clear that firmware password, BUT you are required to prove ownership to Apple's satisfaction. Contact Apple to find out what you need (like an original sales receipt). Good luck doing that with a pawn shop purchase.