MacBook Pro Mid 2012 keeps crashing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fenjen, Jun 28, 2013.

1. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

Hi guys my Macbook keeps crashing. It has happened like 5 times last week. If I look at what process caused the crash it is a different one all the time so I'm guessing it's got nothing to do with software I've installed. I've done memtest which told me the ram is all ok (I have custom ram, not the retail one).

Is anyone else having crashes all the time? I'm on 10.8.4 BTW.

2. Idefix macrumors 6502

Probably the RAM--what RAM are you using?

Anyway, put the original RAM back in, my guess is the crashes will go away.

3. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

You should get low density RAM and see what it does. It does though sound like maybe one of the sticks is bad.

4. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

I don't have the old ram. I got this Macbook second-hand. I have swapped the bars. I'll see how that goes. Otherwise I might buy corsair ram or something. This seems to be pretty cheap 1333mhz ram.

----------

What is low density ram?

5. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

It costs memory manufacturers almost the same to produce Low Density 1GB modules which have 100% compatibility with all systems on the market, comparing to producing high density 1GB modules.

High density RAM is mainly used on servers which the RAM is not really designed to be used on consumer machines. So if you see High density RAM for sale for really cheap stay away from it. Its on sale for cheap for a reason because they cant get rid of them.

6. Laco macrumors 6502

I have the same model of laptop and I have been having similar issues. Some kernel panics perhaps two or three a week. Also when I wake up from sleep I see a white screen and with a bar that loads very slowly. After a couple of minutes the computer finally wakes up. I noticed on several different message boards experiencing similar issues. Some have attributed these problems to 10.8.4, which may be the case as before upgrading I also did not have these problems. I hope maverics will fix this but if it keeps happening I will take it to the Apple store as I am still under warranty.

7. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

It's a shame Mavericks is still months away :(

8. danny33 macrumors newbie

correct me if i am wrong, but its 1600mhz ram you need on a mid 2012

9. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

If you ran a memtest and the RAM checks out the it's probably not the RAM :)

It's probably something you installed. I would back up your important stuff and re-install the OS from scratch.

10. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

Did that two times now :{ My Mac hasn't crashed since last time but that was yesterday.. so I'll have to see if there is any improvement