Macbook pro mid 2012 macintosh HD question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bob1950, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Bob1950 macrumors newbie

Bob1950

I've been advised that my Macbook pro mid 2012 macintosh HD is a mounted drive not my main drive.

as my Macbook pro mid 2012 macintosh HD is the only drive in my MacBook is that normal ?

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

there is a lot of information you are not providing. do this, run the utility "System information". save out a report a upload it here.

3. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

By who?

Your "main" drive must be mounted to be used by macOS.

You'll need to provide more information to get a proper answer.

4. Bob1950 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bob1950

As you can see there is not much in the System report. I feel there should be more but after waiting for ages nothing else came on the screen

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B0D

SMC Version (system): 2.2f44

Serial Number (system): C1MQLF5UDTY3

Hardware UUID: 938CD78F-FE08-5104-9554-6FF05252AB1E

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2016 ---
    I am trying to resolve a problem that my MacBook is running very very slow. programs like outlook, excel, Safari etc keep becoming unresponsive for short periods. Bitdefender support told me to do a Full Scan and it took over 12 hours.
    BDLDaemon is taking most of the cpu time and I cannot "Quit" or "Force Quit" it through the activity monitor.
    Any suggestions welcome. Bitdefender has served me well for over ten years so no I don't want to delete it and use another anti virus.

Attached Files:

5. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

The "Storage" part would help for anything storage related. And you shouldn't post your serial number.

BDLDaemon is BitDefender. "CPU Time" isn't really a good factor. Look more at CPU % and memory.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

My guess? You have a spinning drive (as was originally installed in your system), that combined with only 4 GB of memory will make the system slow. The newer versions of OS X (now mac OS) absolutely THRIVE on SSD speed and more memory.

Both upgrades are relatively easy and not all that expensive. It will feel like a new computer and should last you for several years more.

I have this memory in my 15" 2012, and it will work in yours also. If you don't want the 16 GB, you can save a little less than half and get either a pair of 4 GB sticks or a single 8 GB (which then leaves you open for adding a second later).

One thing to be cautious of - those computers are notorious for the HDD cable failing, if you swap the drive out it would be cheap insurance to grab the cable also and just swap it out. Some have reported a computer running fine has failed to see an SSD when making the swap, the cable failed on them but only to the point that the SSD wouldn't work, the regular HDD still worked fine.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If your 2012 MacBook Pro is the "non-retina" model it has user-upgradeable RAM and drive inside.

Put an SSD into it and it won't be slow anymore.
    It will speed things up so well, that you'll feel it's a brand-new computer.

ANYONE can do this with a couple of tools and about 15 minutes of time.

ALSO - pay attention to what hallux said in post 6 about a potentially failing hard drive ribbon cable. These are weak points in these particular laptops, but again they are easily changed for not much money.
    If the ribbon cable is flaky, it may "cut off communications" with the drive, then re-establish them, then cut off again, etc. This will make the computer unresponsive or even crash it.

I suggest you visit ifixit.com and browse the articles there about changing the HDD and the ribbon cable in the 2012 MacBook Pro.

Again, changing to an SSD will transform the computer.
    My personal recommendation is for either a Crucial or Sandisk SSD -- check amazon for prices.
    New Crucial MX300 series looks good.

Also pick up a USB3 external enclosure for the old drive.
    IF the ribbon cable is acting up, you can use the external drive to diagnose the problem.

8. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

If it's intermittently disconnecting, check the system.log in Console for anything that says "I/O error".

9. Bob1950 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bob1950

If you change the SSD (harddrive ?) what happens to the operating system do you need to use time machine to put everything back on the new drive ? or does the MacBook simply boot from the new drive ?

10. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

You would need to restore from a Time Machine backup or reinstall macOS from Internet Recovery.

11. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Several options available, TM is one as noted by @bcave098 Another option is to grab the latest OS installer from the Mac App Store, create a bootable flash drive and install that directly as Internet Recovery will give you the version that shipped on the computer, which you will then need to update. You then need an external enclosure or your TM backup to restore your data to the newly-installed OS when prompted during setup.

Another option is to use an app such as Carbon Copy Cloner and make an exact copy of the existing drive onto the new one. You put the new drive in and it's as if nothing changed.

12. Bob1950 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bob1950

Can anyone tell me why these two lines don't work in the terminal (Sierra)

rm -rf/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Extensions/SelfProtect.kext

rm -rf/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Extensions/Bitdefender

I get an error message

rm: illegal option -- /

usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...

unlink file

13. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I think just put a space between -rf/Volumes ....
    Thus -rf /Volumes ...