Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Memory Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azjed, Nov 15, 2014.

1. azjed macrumors newbie

This laptop ( "Core i5" 2.5 13" Mid-2012) came with two 2 GB of RAM. I want to upgrade and noticed a comment on everymac.com that says,
    "*Apple officially supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, but third-parties have determined that this model actually is capable of using up to 16 GB of RAM with two 8 GB memory modules."

I wonder if anyone knows if this means if I do put two 8 GB in there that Apple will NOT support my laptop if something goes wrong with it.

2. thefredelement, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014

thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Is your Mac still under warranty or Apple Care? - If you need to bring it in you can always swap out the sticks for the originals.

3. azjed thread starter macrumors newbie

It is under warranty. So, are you aware of this voiding their warranty?

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No it won't. RAM is user-replicable on that machine. The only things that won't be covered are the RAM itself (obviously) and any damage you cause putting it in! They will just put a stick of their RAM in to test if anything goes wrong.

It means that Apple never sold and don't document that it can use 16GB (they generally don't advertise anything that wasn't available as a BTO option).

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

It won't void any warranty. The RAM in these machines are considered user replaceable parts. In fact, if you still have your manual it even explains how to do it.

Of course, if you break anything else in the process of upgrading, that will void the warranty. The RAM itself? Nope.

Apple never sold it with more than 8GB RAM as BTO, that's why they don't list it as capable of using 16GB when in fact it can.

6. azjed thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks to both of you for your responses. I have done many of these in past years so hopefully it's not too different. I will look it up online. Sounds like I may have one of the last models that has removable RAM. I feel like I read somewhere they are now soldering them in. I'm getting really tired of not having the ability to do anything or fix anything on these macs!

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

MBA's and Retina models have soldered RAM yes.

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Easy Task _ Slow and Sure _ Use Good Tools

Yup.. as mentioned above by others, RAM is a 'user serviceable part' and will not void warranty (as long as you do not break a RAM clip/ mess with any internals if not aware/careful) and also as above, you could keep Original and swap out if ever sending machine in.. I did..

Just carefully to remove/replace the wee Phillips screws ** note the ONE longer one, and its position _ and that they are 'secured on an angle' to the case _ some folks seem to be able to strip the screw heads I think accordingly _ USE GOOD TOOLS too !! And possibly a bit of thread-locker afterward to keep screws secure, I always found they seem to work themselves loose after I had done a RAM change.. Good guide with simple steps here _ Good Luck :apple: