Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nopw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Germany
Hello MacRumors Members,

I am not really new to the MacWorld but I have not used my old Macbook (13" i7 MBP Early 2011) a lot because i was not really happy with it and kept my ASUS as well.
But now i finally decided to completely migrate to Mac.
Thats why my hardware experience and overall experience is not that high :).

I did some research over my question inside this board and via google, but i don't have a good answer / solution yet.
Maybe some Pros of yours can help me.

So I finally bought a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 i7 2.3 MD103A.
The stock memory is 4GB, and not enough and
now i would like to upgrade the memory to 16GB.
But i dont know which one to buy.

The memory i have chosen so far is:

1) Crucial - 16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=B77BEA08A5CA7304
75€

2) Corsair Mac Memory - CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11 - 16GB
http://www.corsair.com/us/memory/ma...r3-sodimm-memory-kit-cmsa16gx3m2a1600c11.html
100€

3) Corsair Venegance - CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 - 16GB
http://www.corsair.com/us/memory/la...p-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx16gx3m2a1600c10.html
75€

On Amazon a lot of users are happy with the Crucual Venegance, but some say they have errors. During my research i found somebody saying that the Venegance gets to hot and is not a good choice for MacBooks.
Some others say that this is the best one could get, because its Timing is the best.
The Crucial memory was highly recommended by some Macy friends of mines.
Both are on the same price-level for me so i don't mind.

The Corsair Mac Memory has the highest price tag, and i have not found a lot of reviews about it.

I would be very happy if you could share your opinion about this.

nopw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Germany
Hi thank you for your opinion.

Thats what a lot of people say.
Im just a little bit attracted to the Corsair Venegance because some users claim it is a lot faster.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Macs don't require special memory, I've always felt the Mac specific RAM many manufacturers market are a rip off.

I've had good luck with Corsair, Crucial and g.skill in my Macs. I typically just make my voice based on the customer reviews that are available.

----------

Hi thank you for your opinion.

Thats what a lot of people say.
Im just a little bit attracted to the Corsair Venegance because some users claim it is a lot faster.

The Corsair Vengeance has the lowest CL timing numbers, which would back up the claims that it's faster.

nopw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Germany
The Corsair Vengeance has the lowest CL timing numbers, which would back up the claims that it's faster.

And does it tend to get hotter as a result of that?
Not that my mac crashes after 8 hours of extensive use ^^

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
And does it tend to get hotter as a result of that?
Not that my mac crashes after 8 hours of extensive use ^^

RAM doesn't make much heat as it is, but yes it will probably run a bit hotter(probably not enough to notice.)

I'm trying to find another thread where I suggested some g.skill RAM to another fellow in Europe. I can't find the amazon link right now.

nopw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Germany
An what about the Timings:

Is the better timing supported by the board and the cpu?
Sorry if thats a stupid question.
10-10-10-27

And if you were in my position what would your decision be?

I am also open for G.SKILL even if i have not heard a lot about it.
But in terms of speed it should be slower with a CL11?

Is that the one you think of:
http://www.amazon.de/NBRAM-DDR3-160...YO8Q/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1353176619&sr=8-9

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
An what about the Timings:

Is the better timing supported by the board and the cpu?
Sorry if thats a stupid question.
10-10-10-27

And if you were in my position what would your decision be?

Timings are latency numbers. Higher performing memory will have lower latency, thus speeding things up.

I'm not 100% sure how Macs handle it now but my mid 2009 is able to run newer RAM at the lower latency.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
That's not it, I don't see it on the amazon.de website. I don't know German that well either so I'm having a hard time reading it. LOL

nopw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Germany
Oh im sorry ^^.

Would you say i can / should go for the Corsair?
Or would i be on the safer side with the Crucial memory?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Me being a little on the adventurous side, I'd probably go with the Corsair Vengeance stuff. If you want to play it safe, the Crucial is probably your best bet.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I have the Corsair Vengeance memory in my June 2012 MBP. Works GREAT. The system runs as fast using this memory with two VMs running in Oracle VB as it did with the original 4 GB and running no VMs.

nopw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Germany
I have the Corsair Vengeance memory in my June 2012 MBP. Works GREAT. The system runs as fast using this memory with two VMs running in Oracle VB as it did with the original 4 GB and running no VMs.

Hi thank you for submitting your experience.
From what i hear you have already put the memory to its limits without any crashes or errors.

I think I'll go for the Corsair Venegance. If anything "misbehaves", ill change it.

Thanks alot to T5BRICK, hallux and itegypt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.