macbook pro mid 2012 mountain lion free upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Budiosx, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Budiosx macrumors regular

Budiosx

i bought my macbook pro mid 2012 last month and it came with osx lion and i want to ask if i'm eligible for free upgrade to mountain lion?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you buy it from apple, an authorized seller or a third party, i.e., ebay?

3. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

authorized reseller

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its a new computer, I'd reach out to the reseller and/or apple. The uptodate.apple.com site doesn't seem up

5. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

yes it's new so what is the case ? is there any solution ?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Contact the reseller or apple and see what they say.

7. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Wasn't there a limited time frame last year when you could upgrade for free?

That has well passed now I think it was only a month or 2 month period after purchase.

8. scbond macrumors 6502

Tobias is correct I think, there was a limited timeframe to this offer for mid-2012 machines that were stocked just before the Mountain Lion release. Once Mountain Lion was released Macs were stocked with Mountain Lion installed.

9. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

mmmmm anyone know more information or bought new mid macbook pro 2012 with lion?

10. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25...p-to-date-program-experiencing-early-hiccups/

11. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Chances are slim to get the ML free, pay up $20 to get the ML. How come in 2013 you are not getting the ML with the mbp ? Should ask before buy what osx, something is wrong here.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the OP has to pay, I'd say hold off and wait until Mavericks is released.

13. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

I second motion this, fall is approaching faster than it seems. I've been holding to my back to school gift card in the hopes of Mavericks.

14. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

i thought it is mountain lion after i purchased it, i surprised it was lion so i want solution or i'll wait for mavericks

15. ZTRC macrumors newbie

Tried and failed

I have the same problem - I thought I had mountain lion until I tried to do dictation which is only on mountain lion. I bought my computer in September directly from apple. So I called Apple and they told me that they won't make exceptions to getting the upgrade even if you originally qualified for it. I never knew there was a deadline. It definitely gives me a sour taste about this. So they did say Mavericks is coming out soon. Hopefully it's inexpensive to upgrade to that one. In the mean time I don't have the dictation feature that I need.