Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freedom144

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
The only thing stopping me from choosing is that i want to know which one packs more power

When i asked they told me that in online games the mac air would load faster due to the ssd but in terms of fps the pro would get more is that true ?

Last edited:

goulibouli

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Definitely go for the Air, and bump it to 8GB Ram.

----------

The only thing stopping me from choosing is that i want to know which one packs more power

When i asked they told me that in online games the mac air would load faster due to the ssd but in terms of fps the pro would get more is that true ?

If you get a Mac to play, you're on the wrong road. You should abandon that idea unless buying a Retina Macbook Pro 15" or an iMac.

A Macbook Air with Intel HD 5000, and even less Macbook Pro with Intel HD 4000, is not going to get you anywhere, unless you want to play only indie games, and pre-2008 games.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I'm going to be buying either one of these tomorrow (128gb MBA) and I guess my dilemma is that while I'm good at micromanaging my storage, I would like to have the comfort of not having to worry about micromanaging my storage if that makes sense.

Like I could get a 128gb SD card to put more music/films on the MBA, but then it's only 128gb and I'd have to fork out the extra £60 for an SD card whereas The MBP would be £50 more but I'd automatically get the larger storage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

satmtg

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
I'm going to be buying either one of these tomorrow (128gb MBA) and I guess my dilemma is that while I'm good at micromanaging my storage, I would like to have the comfort of not having to worry about micromanaging my storage if that makes sense.

Like I could get a 128gb SD card to put more music/films on the MBA, but then it's only 128gb and I'd have to fork out the extra £60 for an SD card whereas The MBP would be £50 more but I'd automatically get the larger storage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

So have you bought MBA finally?

----------

Is Haswell 1.4 GHz faster than 2.5 core i5? (Macbook Air 2014 vs MacBook pro mid 2012)

I checked MBA and it felt strong without lag when opened multiple applications.
MBP with similar applications opened lags little.
Both with 4 GB RAM.

I am wondering apart from SSD is MBA feels fast due to Haswell processor even though it is 1 GHz less than pro.

I know MBA RAM cannot be upgraded later.

I have another question, if I have to run multiple VM's and Xcode which machine will be faster or both will be same?

Thanks in advance.

Sat

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
So have you bought MBA finally?

----------

Is Haswell 1.4 GHz faster than 2.5 core i5? (Macbook Air 2014 vs MacBook pro mid 2012)

I checked MBA and it felt strong without lag when opened multiple applications.
MBP with similar applications opened lags little.
Both with 4 GB RAM.

I am wondering apart from SSD is MBA feels fast due to Haswell processor even though it is 1 GHz less than pro.

I know MBA RAM cannot be upgraded later.

I have another question, if I have to run multiple VM's and Xcode which machine will be faster or both will be same?

Thanks in advance.

Sat

If MBP doesn't have SSD in it, it'll open apps much slower.
CPU performance shouldn't be that much different as long as Air can maintain full turboboost.

I'd take Air over 13" Pro (non retina) any day because of the screen resolution, weight and battery.

Also get 8GB Air (it's a must and RAM is non-upgreadable) if you work with multiple VMs

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I choose a 13 inch Pro in September 2012 over the Macbook Air, and would do the same thing today. I use my optical drive a lot, firewire/ethernet a fair bit and the biggest thing: I don't want a non upgradable laptop. I've upgraded the RAM and HDD, and eventually will get a SSD. I put a fast 7200rpm drive in and it runs faster than with the original 5400rpm HDD.

I'm fairly sure that the Macbook Air 2014 benchmarks under the 2012 cMBP, so putting a SSD into one would probably make it a better computer than the 2014 MBA, if you're willing to deal with the weight + thickness and lesser battery life.

Reactions: nordique
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.