MacBook Pro mid 2012 overheating GPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pierreluc102, Jun 15, 2013.

1. pierreluc102 macrumors newbie

Titles says it all, I am very concerned about the GPU temperature diode! Here is screens of idle use, and in-game use (Playing WoW at 95 fps)

Can anyone tell me if it is OK?

Called in Apple Care, told me it should be fine, and recommended Apple Care...

Thanks!

Edit: Fan can go up to 5500 RPM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Cap your WoW to 60FPS. Anything above that is invisible to the human eye. It should lower temperatures as well.

3. pierreluc102 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, the temperature really is too high?

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No. If it was overheating it would shut down. But it is very hot. Lower the FPS and then report what the temps are. High temps are normal for gaming though.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those temperatures are normal and nothing to worry about. If they do get too high, the machine will throttle the speed or turn off. Just use your machine and stop worrying about it.

6. simsaladimbamba

7. pierreluc102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hardware cannot be hurt in the process? Or decay on the long run?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, if it is to hurt the hardware the machine would turn off. But the time the high temperatures start to hurt the machine, you'd have moved on to a newer machine. This isn't the 1990's anymore where computer circuit boards are extremely fragile.

9. pierreluc102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oooookkkk... So, those temperatures are fine, and I should not be worried? Even though I just ordered a Laptop cooler on NCIX, should give me a boost in cooling!

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If those temperatures were not fine, Apple would have never put those machines up for sale. Nor would the chip manufacture put such high tolerances on their chips.

11. pierreluc102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, another point of concern is, it is refurbished! 1 week old!

12. simsaladimbamba

Click the link in post #6. If the chip would overheat, the machine would shut down. As it has not done yet, the chip is fine. As for the Mac being refurbished, it has nothing to with the parts being inferior, as the machine has been manually tested and might have even been repaired, if the machine had an issue.

13. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

That machine will be working long after you are tired of it and moved on……Why worry?

14. pierreluc102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dropped my max fps to 45, and boosted my fans to 3500 RPM, and temperature is 80 degree! Wonderful!

15. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Man, B, with all of these topics about the 15" rMBP, gets me scared a bit.. :p

16. duervo, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

For argument's sake, ignore the temps under load and pay attention to the idle ones. Your idle core temps are a little higher than what others have reported, by a margin of roughly 10C-20C. Plus, look at the difference between your core temps and the CPU Proximity and Main heatsink temps. That's a fairly large difference, IMHO. A difference that is usually caused by either not enough thermal paste, or too much (given what others have reported, it's most likely too much. Foxconn really likes to slop that stuff on for some reason.)

This seems to support a theory of poor application of thermal paste. If you still have it under warranty, you could bring it in and ask them nicely to re-apply the paste. Some around here have done that and gotten positive results afterwards.

That's what I would do. The worst they can say is no, in which case walk them up to a display unit and install your temp stat monitoring app on it (stick on a USB flash drive before you go) and compare them. It's a bit of a gamble, but if the display unit runs cooler, than they should oblige and complete your request.

Also, I doubt it's a matter of running your system in a warm room, unless you like to game in a sauna. Ambient room temp usually affects system temps by about 3 degrees or so ... at least they do in my case. If I turn off the AC (which is set at 68F and blowing almost directly onto my laptop), my system's idle ambient temp jumps by about 3C after about 5 minutes or so. That doesn't account for your higher temps though.

17. Doward macrumors 6502a

Are you kidding me? That's ENTIRELY too hot. Highly recommend you take that in to AppleCare.

Download Intel's Power Gadget, install and run it. Leave it up while you play some WoW.

If your CPU speed drops while playing (you'll clearly see it on the graph) then you are entering what's known as 'thermal throttling' - your computer is slowing itself down to try to keep from killing itself.

If you ARE getting throttled, take your system in to Apple and explain to them that you'd prefer to have *all* the power you paid for.

No MacBook Pro should exceed 95C stabilized under full load. If you exceed 95C, you are running too hot.

Proof:

My 2.5Ghz CPU never drops below 2.8Ghz when in heavy use, and is normally holding 3.2Ghz. No throttling here!