Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Running Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seanymega, Dec 5, 2013.

1. seanymega macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Just to start this is my computer;
    Macbook Pro Mid 2012
    i7 2.9Ghz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024MB
    750GB SATA Disk
    Mavericks 10.9

For the past month my computer has started running quite slow and seems to lag every now and then, even when I just hit 'storage' in the 'about/more info' window... I have gone into recovery mode and every now and then errors pop up, which disk utility fixes. You can read about this here; (this is my post on the apple forums)
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5546926

Last night I booted my computer and it was almost unusable, so I did a restart in recovery mode did disk utility and then, aside from the Printer error that got fixed I had this;
    "Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent" has been modified and will not be repaired."

Now I've been reading everywhere that I can ignore this latest issue, but if this is the case what can I do to find out what is wrong with my macbook?! Currently I have 130GB free space so I haven't completely filled up the space and there really shouldn't be any reason to cause the computer to go slow.

Anyone able to help please?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's your hard drive, because it's a 5400rpm drive. 5400rpm drives are horrendously slow and take forever to boot, not to mention lags, even when new.

Change to an SSD and get boot times of around 11 seconds.

3. seanymega thread starter macrumors newbie

So you are saying I need to upgrade my Hard Drive?! That will cost quite a bit, no other solutions?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Pretty much.

5. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro, too with a 7200 RPM hard drive and even it has gotten slow after upgrading to Mavericks. For you, it might be a combination of Mavericks and the 5400 RPM hard drive.

6. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I have to agree here. Despite the fact that I hate the lackluster storage for the money in SSDs, I have to admit that my MBP actually got faster with Mavericks with the SSD.

HDs are so cheap nowadays, I wouldn't bother with 5400rpm drives unless it was a 1 TB or 1TB hybrid drive.

7. seanymega thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair enough, I guess I will start hunting for a new HD :(

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Keep in mind if you buy a rotational 5400rpm HDD, you're getting nowhere. There ain't gonna be any performance improvements.

Get an SSD :)

9. Tigerstyles macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem as its now out of warrenty how much and where do I take it to replace the hard drive?

It failed while in warrenty and they wiped the HD re installed OS

I have done this myself now and still running slow and laggy

:(