Macbook Pro (mid 2012) seems sluggish. Is it the SSD I installed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xdrquinnx, Apr 8, 2013.

1. xdrquinnx macrumors newbie

I've had this Macbook Pro 15" (non-retina with 8GB RAM and a third-party SSD drive I installed) for about 5 months now and I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I just reinstalled Mountain Lion because my previous installation was slow to the point of being almost unusable. Even now, though, it seems less zippy than the much weaker 2011 13" MBP I used to have. Or the interface does, anyway. It's pretty quick to do processor-intensive stuff like encoding media, but everyday loading of apps and stuff like that seems more sluggish than it should be, beach balls, etc.

Prior to this reinstall, when I woke it from sleep, it might take anywhere from 5 seconds to 10 minutes to completely wake itself up and be usable. Like, after I typed in my account password, it might immediately start working. Or it might go to the desktop screen and be all jerky and slow, the dock not responding, apps taking ages to load, the spinning CD/beachball icon showing for ages, etc. And after a while it would go back to normal. But then sometimes it would just get slow again out of the blue for no apparent reason. I feel like it happened more frequently when I was running Parallels but that certainly wasn't the only time. When it's being all slow and weird, I check Activity Monitor and it doesn't seem like the CPU is being overworked. It's just cruising along at 90% idle or whatever. But it's still taking forever to do anything.

The only thing I can think of is that the SSD drive I installed is causing some sort of weird issue. I'm basing this on no real evidence but it's the only thing that's really different between my old 13" and my new 15". I'm not running and new, weird software or anything. It's a Verbatim 128GB. I took out the SuperDrive, moved the original HD into that spot and installed the SSD as my boot/system/apps drive. I enabled TRIM. I've always heard that running the OS/apps off of SSD was lightning-fast but this doesn't seem significantly better than running them off of the standard HD in my old 13".

Anyone have ideas about what might be happening?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

With what you described and having already done a fresh install, that kind of points to the SSD not functioning properly. Do you still have the HDD? Maybe clone the SSD back to the HDD and run off that a couple days to see if the problem goes away.