MacBook Pro Mid-2012 will not respond !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbanda, Oct 22, 2014.

1. macbanda macrumors member

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro 15 Inch Mid 2012 and suddenly began to experience a complete slowdown/no response from computer. No command possible and my screen gets stuck with a rainbow ball spinning until the computer’s battery either dies, or I hold on the power button to shut the computer down.

The only significant change is the recent update of OS X Yosemite.

Further Details:

The computer at times reboots without a problem and for a few minutes (about 1 or 2) I’m able to start a browser and navigate but then the rainbow ball pops up and that’s the end of the computer responding. I’ve been able to start up Activity Monitor but at first it shows no abnormalities that I can see and it fails to register anything once the computer stops responding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

If it is a Retina MacBook Pro it could be a logic board issue. Apple don't officially acknowledge it but a number of people have experienced problems, myself included.

My rMBP was eventually replaced under AppleCare.

3. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the message. I don't think I have the retina display one. I talked to apple care and after a series of different bootings options, they want me to do a clean reinstall of Yosemite. I couldn't complete the instructions because of work.

I appreciate any insight from anyone

4. Alex88 macrumors newbie

No Respond on MacBook Pro

This could be due to a few different things and may involve simply adjusting an 'Energy Saver' setting. But it could also be a more complex problem related to memory/running programs, so I'd check into both those first. If no luck with that, try reinstalling the software that came with the computer. If you don't actually have a cd, there should also be automatic internet backup/reboot available as well on a 2012 model. However, if neither of those work or are not an option, I would take it into an Apple Store and they'll diagnose it for free. Then you'll know exactly what's wrong and hopefully you may even be able to fix it yourself ;)

5. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for the message Alex. I will certainly look into your suggestions fortunately the computer still is covered by AppleCare I was just hoping I didn't have to come in and bring my computer if I could fix it myself :)

6. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Even if you are not sure if you have a Retina model or not by the screen itself (I will never understand this, but some people genuinely cannot tell the difference), you should be able to easily figure out whether you have a Retina MBP by whether you have an optical (DVD) drive or not. If you have no optical drive, it's a Retina model. If you have a DVD drive, you do not have a Retina model.

Anyway, if you DON'T have a Retina model, that means you probably have a traditional mechanical hard drive drive fitted in there. If the computer is frequently beach-balling on you, that could easily be symptomatic of a dying hard drive that is getting stuck trying to re-seek the same bad sector over and over again. If you don't have a backup yet, I would encourage you to make one ASAP. Then take it to Apple to have them look at it.

-- Nathan

7. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Nathan, I do have a dvd drive so I must not have a retina model. Interesting that the computer "works" when I start in safe mode I think I should just take it in.