Macbook Pro (mid 2012) with Seagate Spinpoint M9T, 2TB working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jozy, Mar 26, 2015.

1. jozy macrumors newbie

I need a new HDD for my Macbook Pro (mid 2012). I'm going to use the regular HDD-slot since I still need my DVD-drive.

I want to have the Seagate Spinpoint M9T, 2 TB. Is there anyone who has this combination working?

2. jozy thread starter macrumors newbie

Or is there anyone with experience with any 2 TB drive? Should it work out of the box?

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It won't work out of the box.

After installing the drive, you need to boot into Recovery (hold down Cmd+R during boot, it's a partition that's hard-wired into the logic board), and reinstall OS X from there after using Disk Utility (there's a few apps in Recovery, DU is one of them) to format the drive.

Honestly, I don't know why you didn't get an SSD instead. It would have made a world of difference.

4. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

The recovery partition is not "hard wired" to the logic board, it is a hidden partition that is installed on the same drive as the OS. Newer Macs though support internet recovery which will allow you to enter recovery and install the OS (that originally came with your Mac) with a blank drive where there is no recovery partition. Since the OP is keeping the disk drive it's also a simple matter of sticking the recovery DVD that originally came with his Mac to install the OS.

5. dyt1983, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

6. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

I'm also curious why you prefer HDD before an SSD I'm assuming its mainly for the amount of storage. But I still think the speed and responseness of an SSD is worth having less storage.

7. jozy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback so far. In the Apple store they told me this laptop supports OS X installation by pressing the 'R'-key on boot and then installing it from the internet. So I think that will work.

My main question was, and is: Will the hardware work? I just can't find proof of anyone having a 2TB drive in this MBP's main HDD-slot. I could sacrifice my DVD-drive for the 2TB drive and buy an additional SSD for the main slot but I've read some horror stories about this setup regarding installation.

So preferable I'll just put it in the main slot, but not sure if it will work.

8. chrfr, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

chrfr macrumors 603

It will work fine. in general the only limitation on disks in the MacBook Pro is a height limit and the M9T is thin enough that it's fine.
    To those asking why the OP didn't specify an SSD: sometimes capacity is more important than outright speed, and where are the 2 TB SSD options for under $200, or at any price?

9. jozy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've bought the Seagate Spinpoint M9T, 2TB and installed it in the primary disk slot. With CMD+R I was able to install OS X over the internet.
    Summary: everything works. Thank you very much for your help!