Macbook Pro Mid 2014 Yosemite Boot screen exist after downgrade.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DevLA, Mar 26, 2015.

1. DevLA macrumors newbie

So I am running on Maverick on my primary Macbook Pro drive and put Yosemite on a external hard drive. I later deleted the Yosemite from the external hard drive by reformatting it. However when I boot up my Macbook Pro it does't give me the original grey to apple boot up. Anytime I turn on my Macbook a black screen pops up first then the grey background with Apple logo pops up. Also anytime I hold down the "Option" key during boot up it'll go from the black screen to my hard drive and recovery startup and that also has a black background. When I click select network it also has the Yosemite UI and not the Mavericks. How do I fix this? I don't like Yosemite at all.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That's likely the result of a firmware update that is part of the Yosemite install.
    AFAIK, it shouldn't affect booting and using Mavericks, if you want to use that as well. However, the boot sequence is affected, which would include some of the screens that are supplied by the boot rom, such as the network selection window. It is what it is - but if you are booting to a Mavericks partition, then only the boot graphics are affected.
    Others may offer their ideas here, or you could contact AppleCare, and ask about the new boot screens.

3. DevLA thread starter macrumors newbie

So i'm guessing theres no way to remove it? It just looks horrible.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Learn to live with it if you want to use Mavericks.

5. DevLA thread starter macrumors newbie

Just contacted Apple and they told me to reinstall Maverick from external which I just did and now its back grey screen. Guess I don't have to live with it lol.

6. redheeler, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Is this about the Yosemite haters? :D

-----

Makes sense, by running the Mavericks installer you downgraded back to the Mavericks firmware. Of course this means you no longer have the Thunderstrike patch, but I doubt that would affect you anyway.

7. DevLA thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm confused he called me a Bozo?
    Anyways yeah I'll live without it. Just love how Maverick runs. Didn't like Yosemite boot up being black which didn't make sense with the color of the Macbook. Plus didn't like the icons. Apple needs to give more choices.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes :D

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No They Don't

The reason macs work so well is there is no choice, Apple can do a fantastic job (although to be fair yosemite has been the worst release I have been through for bugs etc) on it's software because it does one thing for all it's computers and one for all it's mobile devices.

This is what I love about Apple, no choice just use their latest and greatest and I'll have just about the best software around designed to work with my products as best they can.

Anyone who is worried about the colour of the boot up screen needs to get their priorities in order, I wouldn't give up hand off and continuity to have a grey start up screen that is just ridiculous...

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Amen.